Hurricane Sandy

bldbnkr

From Rhode Island - a lot of power outages and extensive coastal damage and flooding from the storm surge. My home and hospital were unaffected aside from a couple of interesting commutes.

Our BB beefed up inventory Sunday. Our concern for the lab was getting fresh shifts in during the worst of it yesterday. We had second and third shift come in early last night but as it turned out the driving conditions were a bit rough but managable. Here's hoping NY and NJ made out OK with the flooding and Virginia and West Virginia etc with the snow.

According to the AABB, the Red Cross had to cancel 300 blood drives, resulting in a loss of 9,000 RBC and platelet donations. I think they'll be leaning heavily on unaffected areas. I spoke with friends in New York Tuesday night (they live in Queens, fortunately not close to the neighborhood where 80 houses burned down). Lower Manhatten is without power due to an electrical substation blowing up. The subways and tunnels are flooded and last I heard the Lincoln tunnel was the only way in and out of the city. They said Manhatten is a ghost town. I'm sure the hospitals in the affected areas have emergency power but what about getting staff in and out, rested, critical supply issues. One can only imagine!

Hi everyone -

Nothing in New Hampshire so far. How is everyone else doing?

Good luck!

I am thankful our power is back on but sad for so many of the other NJ residents still in the dark and with home damages. Worst storm I've seen in my lifetime, and we are 25 miles inland from the coast. I hope the Jersey Shore can be revived. It's our livelihood.