Anti-D Epidemic

That is the commonality I too am trying to find; something along the lines of what you are suggesting. And we had another patient this past Friday. However with this one, they did have a history from another Hospital a few months ago of a "possible" Anti-E (which we did not see), and a Warm Auto spilling over. What it looks like in our hands is a Warm Auto (Panagglutinin) in the Eluate (4+); and an Anti-D and Anti-C in Serum. So could be mimicking Anti-D and Anti-C; could be Auto Antibodies; could be Warm Auto spilling over but just happened to hit those cells :cries:Could be I am going crazy!!!!!

I hope to have some time to day to start a Table with all of the patients; listing every aspect from collection, to final Testing; to see what the common denominators are.

Brenda

Did all 3 patients require manual typing? I am thinking of any source of contaminating anti-D. Did someone spill a bottle in the box of tubes used to aliquot plasma samples? Spill it on the pipets used to take sample from the tube for the manual reverse type which contaminated the sample before it was put on the machine? Put or spill anti-D in some spot in the machine that would contaminate the probe for these samples' antibody screens?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using an eppendorf type pipette with different tips to pipette into your cards (or the Ortho repeat pipettor? Try taking it to bits and give it a good clean. If some strong anti-D has got into the barrel it can carry over - and depending how high up in the barrel is the contamination, it could be fairly random - and it can last for a long long time. And as it's on the INSIDE of the pipette it won't contaminate your sample unless you pipette back into the sample any plasma that's left - but then it will also be very diluted so might not be seen

Holy mackerel Anna, what an interesting hypothesis. I take it you have seen this yourself?

Are you using an eppendorf type pipette with different tips to pipette into your cards (or the Ortho repeat pipettor? Try taking it to bits and give it a good clean. If some strong anti-D has got into the barrel it can carry over - and depending how high up in the barrel is the contamination, it could be fairly random - and it can last for a long long time. And as it's on the INSIDE of the pipette it won't contaminate your sample unless you pipette back into the sample any plasma that's left - but then it will also be very diluted so might not be seen