Mixed field in plasma/serum testing?

Hi,

Is mixed field a valid result for an antibody screen done by gel method? If so, under what circumstances would that be reported? I found an older thread regarding the degradation of antigens on stored reagent cells yielding such a reaction, but these were relatively fresh screening cells.

Thanks,

Amelia

Ortho states that, unless you are using pooled reagent red blood cells, a mixed field reaction is not possible. Yet, for all intents and purposes, we see them occasionally in patients with protein issues and some direct agglutinating antibodies such as cold agglutinins. We consider these reactions inconclusive and go on to investigate the possible causes, which are not likely to be significant IgG antibodies.

I have never seen a REAL mixed field reaction on gel. It is always junk. Usually a cold or rouloux. IT can also be too many plts or too much plasma protein or idiopathic junk. I would never call something mixed field without looking under a microscope on tube. At least not with technology now available to me.

What we do with 'mixed field' gel reactions (top and bottom cell populations): Repeat by tube and stay with tube if workup needed. Probably 70% are colds showing at IS. Most of these do not show any specificity though Anti M will sometimes present this way.

I have seen anti-E look this way in gel. Of course, it is probably one that has an IgM component. Someone once told me you can also see this effect with an antibody that is a "poor fit" for the antigen--like you might see when it is first being produced and fewer B cell clones have been recruited to make antibody. Otherwise, all that is mentioned above is more common.

What we do with 'mixed field' gel reactions (top and bottom cell populations): Repeat by tube and stay with tube if workup needed. Probably 70% are colds showing at IS. Most of these do not show any specificity though Anti M will sometimes present this way.

I should have made clear that REAL allo antibodies can and do hide out amongst this stuff which is why we go to tube and follow regular tube identification methods for any antibodies found. Like Mabel I have found allo antibodies on the tube in a distinct pattern once the gel interferences were removed. But once we go to tube screen any further antibody identification continues by tube.