Timer Calibration

mammothbb

Analog timers need to be checked/calibrated due to the nature of the tech having to "turn the dial" to the correct time. The correct time needs to be evaluated and marked on the timer dial as it is usually NOT the spot routinely marked. Digital timers are based on the vibratory frequency of quartz - they do not need to be calibrated as it is a physical constant. I have been FDA licensed, AABB accreditted and never been cited for accepting digitzed timing (nor do I cite those with digital timers).

I do my digital timers quarterly. Yes, overkill probably. But I was cited for this by NY State many years ago. We use a stopwatch to check the timers. So the inspector asked "how do you check the stopwatch"? With another stopwatch. "How do you check that stopwatch?". So now I check my stopwatch online with the atomic clock. Now I wait for an inspector to tell me to go out West to calibrate that. {{{heavy sigh...when does the insanity end}}} ;)

I do my digital timers quarterly. Yes, overkill probably. But I was cited for this by NY State many years ago. We use a stopwatch to check the timers. So the inspector asked "how do you check the stopwatch"? With another stopwatch. "How do you check that stopwatch?". So now I check my stopwatch online with the atomic clock. Now I wait for an inspector to tell me to go out West to calibrate that. {{{heavy sigh...when does the insanity end}}} ;)

I understand where you are coming from - ad absurdam . . .

If you're CAP accredited, the reference is TRM.31900 Mechanical Timers. "Mechanical timers on serologic centrifuges, and the speed of the centrifuge, are checked for accuracy every 6 months." They removed the requirement for digital timers probably 4 years ago.

Our traceable 3-channel alarm timer instructions say "Quartz crystal timing changes little, if any at all, but can be affected by shock, temperature, and aging. For those users with critical needs such as accreditation demands, government requirements, or ISO 9000 certification we recommend that the unit's accuracy be recertified on an annual basis." Because AABB std 3.5 says we have to do at a minimum what is required in the manufacturer's instructions, I guess we have to continue to calibrate them before use and annually. Or maybe we should buy timers from another company that doesn't have that requirement in their instructions. :)

Our 4-channel traceable digital timers comes with a calibration due date on the back and are good for 2 years. We just purchase new ones when the timer recalibration comes due. We had an FDA inspector site us for not reclaibrating at the due date.

• 4 months later...
If you're CAP accredited, the reference is TRM.31900 Mechanical Timers. "Mechanical timers on serologic centrifuges, and the speed of the centrifuge, are checked for accuracy every 6 months." They removed the requirement for digital timers probably 4 years ago.

Does anyone have an old copy of the CAP checklist laying around when the digital thermometers were listed? I want to reference it when I challenge a very recent deficiency against our digital timers that doesn't seem appropriate.