Gel Testing-Partial Cards

SCHANGM

At our hospital, we do it all the time when performing select cells, etc. The Provue is built to allow cards that have unused wells to be used again after an incubation/centrifugation cycle...this would imply that Ortho doesn't see a problem with it.

I agree with Generic and our practice is the same. We do a 2 cell screen on the Provue so one gel card could be incubated 3 times if used on the PV. Doesn't the package insert for the gel card say they can be incubated up to 45 min or something like that?

I know that I actually don't know the answer to this (as I said in an earlier post), but I do find it strange that you are supposed to store such cassettes within a temperature range (and, if you don't, you get into real trouble with your acrediting agency), and yet you can incubate the last column up to 6 times at 37oC, and it is still okay. I'm not saying it isn't okay (I don't know), but I just find it more than a bit strange.

I know that I actually don't know the answer to this (as I said in an earlier post), but I do find it strange that you are supposed to store such cassettes within a temperature range (and, if you don't, you get into real trouble with your acrediting agency), and yet you can incubate the last column up to 6 times at 37oC, and it is still okay. I'm not saying it isn't okay (I don't know), but I just find it more than a bit strange.

However strange ortho writes their instructions. It is ok and their own instrument finds the empty wells. So the answer is yes. The storage temp is RT, so they don't want them stored for several months at 37, they just let you incubate them X 6 at 37 (which would be 90 minutes for 6 single times. Though generally they are used faster than this. ABS is usually 3 cells.... Then there is daily QC. And select cells are varying. SO rarely would you safe a card for just 1 xm at a time. If ever.

When we trained on Ortho Gel, we were told that the 37C warming is only for the reaction chamber above the gel Microtubule. So the gel area is not warmed at 37C during incubation.