Heat Block Temperature Range

SABarry

Most places I have worked have used a heat block range of 37C (+/- 2). My new place of work has a heat block range of 37C (+/- 1). I have not been able to find any manufacturing guidelines for the old Thermolynes. The current Technical Manual states that a +/- 1 is acceptable but it doesn't say that a +/- 2 is unacceptable. What are people using? I'd like to change our current range since I have discovered some QC that has been out of range and would like to prevent the corrective action investigation I now have to perform.

From my own point-of-view, a lot of this business of 37oC +/-1 or 2oC is over the top.

If you read around the work of Nevin Hughes-Jones (Cambridge University), who did an awful lot of work on the optimum conditions for antibody/antigen reactions in the 1950 and 1960s (and who is still fit and well, with a razor sharp brain), then the sensitivity of the reaction is not as affected by a degree here or there, as people seem to think these days.

BUT, and it is a very big but, if your SOP states that the incubation temperature should be 37oC+/- 1oC or 2oC or whatever, then any excursion from this must be recorded and any tests repeated at the correct temperature, otherwise your accrediting agencies will come down on you like a ton of bricks (and quite correctly so too).

I just flipped through some of Ortho's reagent instructions and found no leeway. They say "incubate at 37 C." Immucor instructions say "incubate at 37º±1ºC ."

In that case, all Ortho users will have to perform a Risk Assessment for when their heat block is at 37oC exactly.

Talk about haing to reinvent the wheel!