Dry Labs!

QJULI

I applaud your ethics but you must have a realistic vision of how things may play out. I hope it wouldn't apply in your case but I have read that, even with whistleblower laws, many whistleblowers pay a high professional and/or personal price for it.

Thus the reason for my post earlier. :frown:

I have proven on two occassions that the employee did not and could not do the work. . .did not use the materials and did not have the reagents to get the results he recorded. In the past few days I have contacted my hospital CEO. He is the direct boss of my lab manager. I can't trust my lab manager, so after much thinking I decided I had to inform and put my trust in the CEO. He has a right to know of the behavior happening in the hospital he leads. I have maintained contact with my pathologist and I have his full support. Just yesterday another section supervisor handed his evidence of 'dry labbing' by the same employee to the lab manager. This supervisor was told that despite previous conversations about the topic, there was no formal documentation, and the lab manager was going to work on some sort of monitoring. Another free pass to my point of view.

I continue to be appalled.

I have made efforts to protect myself. Two trusted friends outside the lab have copies of all my documentation, letters, emails etc. There are a few other work opportunities in my area and I have already researched one because I see quite clearly that I might not be able to stay where I am. I am fortunate that I don't HAVE to work. I enjoy work, I would have to change some things in my lifestyle, but it would not hinder the future of my children etc. if I was unemployed for a year or so.

I am not going to give up on the situation. I must continue to have faith that the 'right' thing will be done. I don't have time to wait . . .if everybody eventually gets what they deserve. . .because it could be my family, my friend. . .going to my hospital tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your support. Accrediting agencies can't come in and fix this. It's got to work from the inside. . .. so I stay. And I do the right thing, set the right example, provide quality results and do my best to ensure patient safety in my work and the work of people that DO follow my example. That's what I do. I'm not perfect. . .but I'm not going to walk away.

I did check and research extensively the 'legal' issue. No definitive answer from anyone. Is it forging a record? Is it simply unethical to write down a QC result that you didn't really do? If no patient work was involved. . .is it just an issue for the accrediting body? CAP doesnt' agree with JCAHO doesn't agree with AABB. If you have definitive resources I would love if you could share.

Thanks. . .

My big question in all this is "Why hasn't your Pathologist gotten involved?" - He is directly responsible for all activities in the lab. Having his "full support" sounds rather scary to me. Any place I have worked, the lab directors would be all over this in a minute . . . be wary.

same here. Most cases if your pathologist is with you, he/she will take charge of the situation after first few cases (with proper documantation). If this was at my hospital, after we receive compalint from whistle blower, that's it we will do our do deligance and we take care of it at management level. The person who reported usually is not in the picture any more and we take proper action. This is all dependes on your pathologist. If your supervisor did not listen to you, the pathologist should have asked everything to supervisor and take care of the situation.

So when you say Pathologist is with you, I do not know ...it doesn't make sense...why she/he would let it go out of the door even, instead of taking care of the issue with in the lab. Unless she doesn't have much say in supervisor's decision...

My pathologist is not a hospital employee. . .so they have to go through the upper levels of hospital administration also. My pathologist knows I have followed the chain of command and notified my upper levels also. I have not had any news but remain hopeful that the wheels are in motion to have productive outcomes to the situation. By being 'with' me I mean that the pathologist is not comfortable and does not accept the lack of disciplinary action to the employee and is not happy that they received no notification of the questionable activities. .. . and that when specifically questioned the lab manager initially denied that there was more than my complaint. Pathologists aren't too happy when things that affect their medical license are swept under the rug. . .. . . is how I interpret it.

Thanks for the continued support.

I have proven on two occassions that the employee did not and could not do the work. . .did not use the materials and did not have the reagents to get the results he recorded. In the past few days I have contacted my hospital CEO. He is the direct boss of my lab manager. I can't trust my lab manager, so after much thinking I decided I had to inform and put my trust in the CEO. He has a right to know of the behavior happening in the hospital he leads. I have maintained contact with my pathologist and I have his full support. Just yesterday another section supervisor handed his evidence of 'dry labbing' by the same employee to the lab manager. This supervisor was told that despite previous conversations about the topic, there was no formal documentation, and the lab manager was going to work on some sort of monitoring. Another free pass to my point of view.

I continue to be appalled.

I have made efforts to protect myself. Two trusted friends outside the lab have copies of all my documentation, letters, emails etc. There are a few other work opportunities in my area and I have already researched one because I see quite clearly that I might not be able to stay where I am. I am fortunate that I don't HAVE to work. I enjoy work, I would have to change some things in my lifestyle, but it would not hinder the future of my children etc. if I was unemployed for a year or so.

I am not going to give up on the situation. I must continue to have faith that the 'right' thing will be done. I don't have time to wait . . .if everybody eventually gets what they deserve. . .because it could be my family, my friend. . .going to my hospital tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your support. Accrediting agencies can't come in and fix this. It's got to work from the inside. . .. so I stay. And I do the right thing, set the right example, provide quality results and do my best to ensure patient safety in my work and the work of people that DO follow my example. That's what I do. I'm not perfect. . .but I'm not going to walk away.

You know what is best in your given situation. However, one word of caution: Be aware of internal politics. One does not know and cannot understand who is protecting who, and who dislikes who, and the "whys" and it goes on and on...