Terminology

yolis76

Thanks! I was concerned. I am working with Dr. Harmening and she was told by someone on the west coast that 'forward' and 'reverse' typing were old terms... but I am currently an educator in both an SBB program and an MLS program and I use them all the time :-)

Thanks! I was concerned. I am working with Dr. Harmening and she was told by someone on the west coast that 'forward' and 'reverse' typing were old terms... but I am currently an educator in both an SBB program and an MLS program and I use them all the time :-)

What is the "new" terminology that we are supposed to use anyway?????????

There is no need to change these terms. You only must now if the one you are talking to understands what you mean. So whitin a lab or instutuut you can use any terminology you want, but talking to people outside (other hospital, lab or on this forum) I think it is better discribe what you mean.

In our lab we do our ABO typing form above to below, so we are talking about the upper-side and the down-side. For us it absolute clear, but without some explaning I think that also Malcolm will not understand me.

There is no need to change these terms. You only must now if the one you are talking to understands what you mean. So whitin a lab or instutuut you can use any terminology you want, but talking to people outside (other hospital, lab or on this forum) I think it is better discribe what you mean.

In our lab we do our ABO typing form above to below, so we are talking about the upper-side and the down-side. For us it absolute clear, but without some explaning I think that also Malcolm will not understand me.

I dont understand you either, and I have been at this for pert near 30 years.

I dont understand you either, and I have been at this for pert near 30 years.

That is exactly what I mean. We all have to be sure that everybody understands what we what to say.

For those who are intereseted I will explane our "lab-slang".

We use forms to write down the results of the ABO blood group. On these forms there are little squares forming 4 lager squares. We startt at he upper left and than go one square lower. In the first square the result of anti A with patient cells is written down. In the square below that the result of anti B with patient cells is written. In the next square we write the result of patient serum with test cells A1 and in the next we write patient serum with B test cells.

So we read the ABO blood group form up to down (instead of left to right).

So upper side is patient cells with reagent antibodies, the lower side is patient serum with reagent cells.

I agree that it sounds very strange, but in a few days it is normal and after 19 years it is hard to immagioon that somebody is not understanding you.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who has a workflow map or summary guide to make blood bank antibody identification easier? For example, what makes you think that an antibody could be warm, cold, 901 series or 700 series and so on and so forth. Any guide leading to the easy identification of these antibodies? What are the associated workups from beginning to end? My email: pharezi@yahoo.com