Got accepted into an SBB program but can't find a mentor

cbaldwin

I was just accepted into a 2 year SBB program sponsored by Blood Systems Laboratories. Feel very honored to have been accepted because there are only 9 positions and 27 people applied. The program is mostly on-line, and 15 times each year I will be sent specimens to work up. Once each semester I will be sent a test specimen. I will also need to do some research projects in the second year and some oral presentations.

My problem? I need a mentor! I need someone with an SBB and 2 years experience or a MT degree with 3 years experience in Blood Bank who can meet with me every two weeks to discuss my progress/problems. The mentor will guide me and advise me, review my work, evaluate oral presentations, and communicate my progress with the education coordinator.

The person I thought would be my mentor does not have the time to do this. I have 10 days to find a mentor!

The education coordinator for this program would prefer that I find someone close enough to me that I can meet with face-to-face (I live in California, near the Nevada border, halfway between Reno and Las Vegas--our blood supplier is in Reno because that's the closet city to us). but I am going to try to see if our meetings could be conducted through Skype.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Volunteers? I am very studious and will be a good student to oversee!

Do you know if there is a blood center with a reference lab near you? Many reference lab employees have their SBBs and are involved in teaching, you might be able to find a volunteer? If there is a medical school near you, you might call them to see where the MD students go for their transfusion medicine rotation. Hope you find someone!

Thanks for offering help! You have already helped me a lot over the last few years with your advice and informative posts. I have even perused educational materials you have submitted to the library on this site! I have some leads on people who might be my mentor and it's going to work out.

Thanks for your offers of help and your suggestions! I think I found a mentor and I think things will go smoothly. I know how busy everyone is these days and I feel bad asking someone for time, but I am finding that people are enthusiastic about helping me! (Could it be my offer of cookies?)