Refrigerator and Freezer Chart Recorders

bloodbanker01

Does anyone know if it is a requirement to use refrigerator and freezer chart recorders? We currently have Temptrak monitoring system, record the temperatures on both the bottom and top shelves, and have a temperature display. So is it really necessary to use the chart recorder also?

AABB Standard 5.1.8.1.2 For storage of blood products, the temperature shall be continuously monitored or the temperature shall be recorded at least every 4 hours.

If u have a central monitoring, recording and some one viewing it, Chart may be not required.

If monitoring and recording is individual ref to ref; daily once temperature should be recorded on a temperature chart. It is required by our accreditation agency. How AABB/CAP explains it, I want to know also.

If you have a central monitoring system regularly logging the temperature, you are not required to have a chart recorder also. You do need to have a back up plan in case your central monitoring system is down. We plan to keep our charts because then no one has to remember to take 4 hour temperatures or run put a chart on equipment when the central system is down. On the other hand, the system is not down often, so you may prefer to avoid the expense of the charts and risk the staff forgetting the temperatures on the rare down occasions.

I am not familiar with Temptrak but if it is a continuous monitoring system (with documentation of course), you do not need charts.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Does anyone know if it is a requirement to use refrigerator and freezer chart recorders? We currently have Temptrak monitoring system, record the temperatures on both the bottom and top shelves, and have a temperature display. So is it really necessary to use the chart recorder also?

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me if it is required by FDA/AABB/JCAHO to record the temperature reading from a chart on your refrigeration units daily? Or is it sufficient to keep the tracing?

Thanks

If the techs have to record it, they have to look at it and hopefully notice problems.

I have found the following (even though someone had looked at them previous to me finding the problem):

Charts that are not turning because the person who replaced it did not tighten it.

Charts for freezers on refrigerators and the reverse.

Charts that were left on the refrigerator for more than a week and were rerecording.

Pens that have been moved out of alignment and were recording the wrong temperature.

Can anyone tell me if it is required by FDA/AABB/JCAHO to record the temperature reading from a chart on your refrigeration units daily? Or is it sufficient to keep the tracing?

Thanks

Not sure about the regs, but I believe the intent is to be able to show that a certified thermometer is used at least every 4 hours to check temps. 

Once a day, we record the chart and alarm monitoring temps to show that they match the thermometers.  All device temps recorded on the temp log for that day--pretty sure this is a common method. In this way you can use the charts (or whatever monitoring system records) as proof that the refrigerator temps were Ok, since the operation of the sensors for those recording and alarm temps are comparable to the thermometers in the frig or freezer.

Scott

tricore I have see the same things as you and I'm a fan of actually recording the temp.  The monitored system sounds wonderful and I agree with other posters, as long as you can produce the info at inspection time and your SOP reflects the process you should be good to go.

Yes. Once it's alarm system went haywire & it continued to wail for around a week at odd hours. sms were also sent to registered mobile numbers wrongly. The problem was in the software connected to alarm. The temp. recorder was working fine, nor any problem with printing logs.