Random Chat

LisaM

I thought I'd start a thread where we can completely digress off topic and not worry about derailing blood bank related threads with everyday conversations, small talk and random chatting. Not that there's anything at all wrong with that, but sometimes you lose the momentum of various threads when you stray too far from the original intent.

So here's the place to talk about whatever you want, even blood bank stuff! LOL and without further ado, the first bit of randomness is a big "Happy Holidays" to everyone out there in Blood Bank Land! Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah--whatever it is you celebrate this time of year!

And here's a little holiday ha-ha for you:

post-5145-13664190006079_thumb.jpg

So here's a random blood bank question that probably doesn't need it's own thread, so I'll ask here:

I just finished a massive go-through in our blood bank files and pulled out about 3 boxes worth of workups/info/old filing system cards on patients that have expired. I managed to clear a lot of room in our file cabinet to make way for the constant additions of new patients, which will help with space issues. My question is this: I know we must always keep blood bank records indefinitely, but do they have to be kept onsite, as in "in the actual room" or can they be sent to storage? I'm thinking it's ok to send all the expired patients to storage, since the accounts are basically inactive since this group of people have died. Any thoughts from anyone?

^^Good to know and thanks! (I can just picture Malcolm listening to Iron Maiden--secret headbanger-metalhead rocker in the blood bank!!) hahaha!

Bit eclectic really; Bach, Mozart and Handel, interspersed with Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbeth, Eric Clapton and others - but never, never, Mantovani!!!!!!!!!!

:sing::sing::sing::sing::sing:

Ditto re Seasons Greetings. We are crippled with snow and ice at the moment. The country is just not equipped for this rare event.

We store paper (& electronic) records off-site. The company is audited every two years and must comply with an ISO acreditation. We also check urgent re-call response time once a year.

We keep records of what are kept in the off-site boxes(which are barcoded for ease of use).

Cheers

Eoin

I also wish much joy, happiness and peace to all during this holiday season (and why not for the rest of the year as well?). For the first time in over 30 years, we will not be celebrating Christmas at our house. After several years out of state, our daughter, her hubbie and 18 month old son have moved back 10 minutes away from us. So we've passing the torch (or wreath, maybe) to her and will spend Christmas eve and day with them. Christmas is for the kids anyway.

As for the records, well, isn't it annoying that AABB has assorted 5, 10 and indefinate retention times? We use a mix of on-site and off-site storage, basically based on how often you need to go back into those records. I think a lot of what different places might do is based on how many shelves you have to put those long rows of panel notebooks on.

Eoin, I read that the Gulf Stream might be stopping soon in which case you had better get used to the ice and snow. Here in New England we have a remarkable technological innovation called insulated long underwear (tops and bottoms). When it gets too cold let Lisa and I know your size (US please) and we'll help you out.

Ah yes, so thats it Phil, passing the torch. I too am spending Christmas Eve at my son's house. I thought that I was getting out of doing the preparations and felt guilty, but no, it is their turn.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone!

I wish you all a Great YEAR 2011 !!!

Thanks for the "warm" offer Phil. Moved to a 4WD jeep this year, so snow ca=hains & thermal underwear next season perhaps. Had heard that the Gulf Stream is slowing. Maybe a mini-ice-age is starting. We better take a leaf from the Danes. They rarely have problems with their airports.

Happy Christmas to all & talk again in 2011.

Cheers

Eoin

post-2070-13664190007907_thumb.jpg

Ah yes, so thats it Phil, passing the torch. I too am spending Christmas Eve at my son's house. I thought that I was getting out of doing the preparations and felt guilty, but no, it is their turn.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone!

I wish you all a Great YEAR 2011 !!!

I don't feel too guilty since I'll be shucking oysters, grilling a leg of lamb, bringing the wine and God knows what else. I just get to trash her kitchen instead of mine.

You for got Deep Purple and Steppenwolfe.

I love the older music! I just saw Roger Waters a couple of months ago in Boston on "The Wall" tour--OMG OMG!!! What an awesome show !! And I have to say that 'Rog is one niiiiiice lookin' guy and can still rock it out, for pushing 70 years old! I might have to break up with Steve Perry so I can date Roger--LOL

(I'm gonna ask Santa if he can leave Roger under my tree for Christmas! He He!)

Phil--let's see if we can chuck some snowballs across the pond at Eoin--tis the season of giving, and we should really share some of our snow. LOL

And another random blood bank question--we have a patient with a probable anti-G. Kind of exciting when something out of the ordinary happens like that--anyone know anything about the G antigen?

Edited by LisaM

I don't feel too guilty since I'll be shucking oysters, grilling a leg of lamb, bringing the wine and God knows what else. I just get to trash her kitchen instead of mine.

Phil, haha. Its not my house SOOOOOO I will just sit back and be served. there will be a lot of in-laws and they love the kitchen, cooking , decorating etc.. I guess I can enjoy it all, pretending that because I work I dont know any house stuff. ** ** **

:excited::excited: :giggle::giggle:

However, during gestation it is very important to point out to the Doctor that anti-D is NOT present so that the patient recieves RHIG in a timely fashion. Please watch out for this.

thanks

I agree entirely Liz. It is fine if it is a male patient, or a post-menopausal female patient, but if it is a pre-menopausal female patient of any age (from nought upwards), even if she is not pregnant at the time, the correct specificity is essential. If, just as an example, a 20-year-old non-pregnant female appears to have anti-D+C, but actually has anti-G or anti-G+C, and it goes on her record as anti-D+C, if she then becomes pregnant, for example, by an R2R2 male, and is not offered anti-D immunoglobulin during the pregnacy and at birth, then the next baby could be in big, big trouble.

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

Edited by Malcolm Needs
As ever, spelling!!!!!