Use of a Blood Warmer

sniedz

I recently started working at this small hospital and question some of their practices: whenever a patient has a cold antibody, the techs label the unit "BLOOD WARMER REQUIRED." I think this is overkill. The Technical Manual says blood warmers are rarely required and to use a blood warmer when you are massively transfusing or when a patient has Cold Agglutinin Syndrome. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

Speaking of blood warmers, anyone ever see what a blanket warmer does to a unit of blood? It's not a pretty sight. It turns black!!! Had anesthesia (sp??) do it once. They decided that they wanted the blood warmed faster than a blood warmer could do it. I have no clue why they thought this. A case where a little knowledge can be very dangerous. Thank God someone came to their senses when they saw the black blood and it was not transfused.

:faint::faint::faint: