I'm a student and I need help. please.....

tuffgrrrrl

Hi everyone. I am a student and I'm new here I hope I do not annoy anyone with really dumb questions but here is your chance to help someone who wants to learn. OK, today we did a lab called "Bloodbanking QC". We do not have any lab procedure to follow really and I cannot recall each step of my lab or what I did each step for please help me. We were testing our reagents ect and we used the Ortho Confidence system. We had 3 tubes labeled SC1, SC2, SC3. What is in those?? I believe we used some bottles with cells in them labeled 1, 2 and 3 from Ortho. She said that they basically represented our unknown patient. They were my screening cells. I been looking online and I cannot believe that I cant find somewhere to clearly explain this procedure. What cells were in those bottles please?

Q:2 Also when we used ourOrtho confiedence Cell A1Brr with Anti-A, Anti-B, Anti A,B and Anti-D, Rh control I believe that we added IgG to one or all of those tubes. What makes sense and why?

Can you ask your instructor for the package insert for the Ortho confidence system. Do you have access to a text book - there should be an explanation of reagent quality control in that. That would explain the process very well.

The procedure you are doing is intended to make sure that the reagent red cells and antisera that you would use for patient testing are working correctly. You are checking the antibody screening cells (SC1, SC2, SC3) to make sure that they would detect any antibodies the patient might have to red cell antigens and also to make sure they do not react when a patient sample has no antibody. The confidence cell A1Brr is used to make sure that your reagents will provide the correct results when performing a blood type on a patient. The Anti-IgG would have been added to the weak D test (testing anti-D reagent) after the immediate spin Rh type was found to be negative.

I would encourage you to ask your instructor for a detailed explanation any time you don't understand something. As instructors, we are supposed to be there to help you understand. Asking questions is how we all learn. If you don't know the answer, it's not a 'dumb' question.

AMcCord that was a very clear explanation, great!

Tuffgrrrrl it is your right to ask questions, and ask for a reference book, do you have access to a library?

I advise Harmening to my students and the earlier edition: the 3rd edition. "Modern Blood Banking And Transfusion Practices".

Thanks for the recommendation. We are using a text called Immunohematology, Principles and Practice by Eva Quinley. I am new but I do not recommend this book. It is the first year that my school is using it and there are many errors in this book and is sometimes light on explanation. Silly me I thought that there was nothing that could not simply be "looked up" online!