How fast can a bag of platelets be infused?

duffy

It usually depends on how fast the patient can tolerate it. I don't think there's ever been a clear standard. Pages 530 -531 of the 15th edition of the AABB Technical Manual states that (if possible) the infusion should go slowly for the first 15 minutes to observe the patient for problems. It also states that a platelet or plasma transfusion is usually administered within 30 to 60 minutes.

AABB Technical Manual 16th Ed. Page 620

Platelets Adults: 200-300 mL/hr Pediatrics: 60-120 mL/hr

And you need to have this in writing.

Liz

TABLE 21-1. Suggested Infusion Rate of Components in Nonemergency Settings*

Suggested Infusion Rate

Component Adult Pediatric

Red Blood Cells 150-300 mL/hr 2-5 mL/kg/hr

Fresh Frozen Plasma 200-300 mL/hr 60-120 mL/hr

Platelets 200-300 mL/hr 60-120 mL/hr

Cryoprecipitated AHF As rapidly as tolerated As rapidly as tolerated

Granulocytes 75-100 mL/hr 65-100 mL/hr

I used to prefer to infuse platelets as fast as the patient will tolerate it. My thinking is people occasionally react to the product, so the more that can be infused before they get a fever/chill reaction, the better. They rarely react to the platelets themselves, and our HemOnc patients are always well premedicated.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen a reaction to platelets in quite a while. We went to 100% leukodepleted products a few years ago ...

Our nursing policy stipulates the rate of infusion. Basically, it is slow for the first 15 min and then bumped up after that. SOme times the physicians will dictate the rate in their order.