Lap Top Disaster

Yesterday, my own lap top at home blew up.

I know nothing about IT, and so it could take some time to get it up and running again.

Some of you have emailed me on my home email address, and I'm sorry but I cannot pick these up at present and nor, obviously, can I return the email.

If there is any thing pressing, please email me on my work email address of malcolm.needs@nbs.nhs.uk. However, I can, of course, only pick these up when I am actually in my office, and we have a fire wall that would stop an inter continental ballistic missle dead in its tracks.

I did find out one thing though. It turns out that I have a wife and son at home as well as a lap top!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I did find out one thing though. It turns out that I have a wife and son at home as well as a lap top!

I am sure your wife and son are very grateful unless of course you are desturbing there own plans as happens to me with my wife and two daughters at home. You know the remote controls for everything in the house - I am not allowed to touch these when they are home.

Steve

:(:(:(

I am sure your wife and son are very grateful unless of course you are desturbing there own plans as happens to me with my wife and two daughters at home. You know the remote controls for everything in the house - I am not allowed to touch these when they are home.

Steve

:(:(:(

I know the feeling only too well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool:

Oh NO! Cut off from the world! :eek::eek::eek: Isn't it amazing how we come to rely on technology. I used to think I didn't need a lap top, but now I feel like a part of me is missing when mine is misbehaving.

Malcolm, I guess you'll just have to go for a walk ;).

Sorry to hear about the laptop disaster! What is a remote? :tongue: Actually going to be on vacation after tomorrow for 9 days. For 5 of those I will be out of cell phone range, etc. :eek: Actually looking forward to time with my wife sans children for the first time in about 9 years. Will be a time for us to get to know each other again.:)

I don't think my husband and I will get that opportunity until all the children move out. So it is just, hey I think I know you don't I? Have a great vacation, sounds like you are going somewhere very relaxing what with being out of cell phone range.

sorry about the lap top malcolm. I have 2 home computers, one here at work and internet on my phone. Yes, I am a techno junkie.

4 day western Carribean cruise. :o Looking forward to the lab not being able to reach me for a change. Reside closest to the lab and you all know what that means. Hope to recharge while relaxing.

Malcolm I am not sure I buy into the theory of the wife and kids taking the laptop out, but stranger things have happened. :D

Have a great vacation Deny!

Malcolm, I hope you don't go into withdrawal! Can you go to a Library or similar location there to access a public computer? If I can get to the internet, then I can get my e-mail (both personal and work). I also get them all on my Blackberry.

I have to admit that there have been times when I would have liked to have sabotaged my husband's various connected devices just to see if he would actually look at me.

:chainsaw::devilish:

Have a great vacation Deny!

Malcolm, I hope you don't go into withdrawal! Can you go to a Library or similar location there to access a public computer? If I can get to the internet, then I can get my e-mail (both personal and work). I also get them all on my Blackberry.

I have to admit that there have been times when I would have liked to have sabotaged my husband's various connected devices just to see if he would actually look at me.

:chainsaw::devilish:

Yes, I could, but this would only be at weekends (as I'm up too early and home too late to do it during the week). As I'm on-call most weekends (either the Saturday or the Sunday - as now) I can pick up the BBT posts at work (if I get called in, which seems, at the moment, to be EVERY time I'm on-call).

I'm working on a patient at the moment, with anti-M+U, that we have only seen three times. Once at 0300, once at 22.00 and this time at 02.00. It seems that this patient only ever requires a work-up in the dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dear Malcolm,

talking about being stressed out with IT I am in the middle of a 24 hour on call and the Ortho analyser terminal has died on me! I cannot get anything but a black screen and I didn't touch it!

Left a message for the Hotline but they are not open this time??

Only 9 long hours to go

:(

Dear Malcolm,

talking about being stressed out with IT I am in the middle of a 24 hour on call and the Ortho analyser terminal has died on me! I cannot get anything but a black screen and I didn't touch it!

Left a message for the Hotline but they are not open this time??

Only 9 long hours to go

:(

Yep, automation and computerisation are not the answer to everything. There must ALWAYS be a back-up.

By the way, my lap-top, being 10-years-old, is still in Intensive Care, on the grounds that I can only use it on mains electricity - they no longer make the particular battery it uses. I'm thinking of trying to run it on gas or parafin!

Malcolm... have you tried the internet or Ebay to get a battery for your elderly friend (your laptop)? You might be able to get a new one that way. My mother got one for a defunct cellphone that way.

Anti-M, -U.... at midnight...? Could he/she be a vampire???

Malcolm... have you tried the internet or Ebay to get a battery for your elderly friend (your laptop)? You might be able to get a new one that way. My mother got one for a defunct cellphone that way.

Anti-M, -U.... at midnight...? Could he/she be a vampire???

No, and for several reasons.

1. (and by far and away the most important) I am too stupid to have even thought of that!

2. I was wiped out on Sunday, as I didn't get home until after 9 in the morning.

3. I had to work today.

4. I'm lecturing tomorrow at a meeting, coincidentally, about providing blood for ethnic minority groups.

Once I've got back on an even keel, I will certainly try your excellent suggestion.

THANKS!

:D:D:D:D:D

Malcolm, it is ironic that you should have the case you mentioned just then. I was handling a case of a sickle cell patient with anti-M, anti-Fy3, anti-E, and a warm auto that day! Oh, and she is Down's Syndrome and combative, so it was very difficult to get more sample when we needed it!

AMcCord: I have not heard of red cell antibodies as part of the vampiric syndrome...is this a new discovery?

Malcolm, it is ironic that you should have the case you mentioned just then. I was handling a case of a sickle cell patient with anti-M, anti-Fy3, anti-E, and a warm auto that day! Oh, and she is Down's Syndrome and combative, so it was very difficult to get more sample when we needed it!

AMcCord: I have not heard of red cell antibodies as part of the vampiric syndrome...is this a new discovery?

Wow! Rather you than me!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

I spoke too soon!

I can't just be the battery, as the blank, blank thing fell over again last night, and it was running on mains.

I have tightened the belt, and have ordered a new one.

I may be off air at home for a while though (still can post at work, as I am doing now).

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am envious Malcolm, a 10 year technology jump, it should have all the bells and whistles and you won't be able to type quick enough!!! My home laptop is 5 years old and doesn't keep up with my daughters school laptop.

Steve

:):)

Ah, the problem with a new lap-top with all the bells and whistles is that it is only as good as the person operating it.

With my knowledge of IT, it may as well be an abacus! It arrives next Thursday - we shall see!

:redface::redface::redface:

It is the thing that allows you to change channels, volume, etc on your television, without having to actually get up from your seat and physically press a button on the set.

:):)

Yes my children seem to always have possession of this elusive creature. Not sure if I would recognize one unless it landed in my lap.:D