Anti-D with no hx of tranfusion and no recent pregnancies

I've also been a walking blood bank in the past. I got called in one day on my day off years ago because there was a bad trauma case and they needed more hands. Once I got there, I was asked my blood type and the medical director decided they needed my blood worse than they needed my hands! One of our local state troopers and the hosptial CEO were O neg. They got a lot of calls and were always very willing donors.

The craziest situation was that one of our surgeons always wanted 'fresh, whole blood' and he would march over from surgery once his patient was on the way to the recovery room, demand that we draw a unit of his blood, grab the unit out of our hands immediately after we pulled the needle from his arm and take it straight to the patient and hang it. (We scrambled to do the quickest crossmatch we could once he stomped out the door, blood in hand.) Crossmatch? He didn't need no stinking crossmatch!!! His blood was perfect. Our medical director lacked the fortitude to stop him. Those were the days..........and I'm glad they are dead and gone!

How can you not respect a hospital CEO like that?

As for your second paragraph - amazing. I can only imagine how impressed his patients were when he described to them how he first saved their life in surgery, then saved it a second time with his one unit of blood!!! (Can you spell the word "EGO?")

• 1 month later...

WinRho is only given to Rh positive patients with ITP (and not that often).

My mom formed anti-D more than 40 years ago when she was transfused when my younger sister was born. Her transfusions were from walking donors, at least one of whom was Rh positive. She still has the antibody (very strong) all these years later.

• 4 years later...

Wow, since we are on Memory Lane, I remember back a good 40 years or so working at a prestigious hosp in Boston and needing fresh blood for newborns. We had donors come in from a paid donor service and they frequently arrived filthy dirty, drunk, and desparate for the $25.00 or so that they got for the donation. After cleaning the arms multiple times to get rid of the dirt, I would draw them. If I missed, I would hear 'stick it again, stick it again"!!! OMG, not the kind of memories I am happy to have. Then there was the sweet early 20's hemophiliac guy who came in to infuse his own Factor VIII from our Blood Bank in the late70s-early 80s. Died of AIDS somewhere in the 90s I heard. :(

DK, we used to go on blood drives at the prison. We learned quickly not to ask them what they were there for. And since they got something like 2 weeks off of their sentence for donating, they got really pissed off if you had to reject them. I drew one guy with yellow eyes and jotted on the back of his donor card to discard the unit. Those were the days.

Regarding Shivangi's question, some patients just don't remember the transfusions. The need for hemotherapy is hardly an indicator of glowing health; the patients are often sick, comatose, anesthetized etc. and not in a remembering state of mind. And there are additional sources of immunization such as sharing of needles between IV drug users.

Regarding the original question, I'll chime in that we too have seen many elderly ladies with nice anti-Ds who have no history of transfusion. Their numbers should decrease substantially as they become replaced by us baby boomers who were protected by RhIG prophylaxis.

I had an elderly gentleman (80+) headed to surgery early one fine day about approx 10 years ago. His antibody screen was 4+ strong on the Echo. He was Rh neg and his screen smelled like anti-D. I called Preop and had them ask him where he had last received blood - I was going to call that hospital and check his transfusion history. His nurse called back to tell us that he had been transfused in .......Italy (can't remember the name of the town). He didn't believe he could give us the phone number or address. It was a US Army field hospital during WWII. He was a spunky character with a great sense of humor and a nice strong anti-D.