Certified BB Saline vs. PBS Help please!

richardsonj

Hi. We just signed a contract for the Immucor Echo and manual capture workstation. I was told to have unbuffered saline available to make into PBS with Immucor's pHix reagent. I am trying to get a handle on the different salines...

Currently we use Nerl Blood Bank Saline pH 7.0-7.2 which I was under the assumption was a phosphate buffered saline... However, to comply with Immucor's request for installation, I purchased S/P Certified Blood Bank Saline from Cardinal Health to add the pHix to.

So now...do I use the S/P Certified saline for everything else in the blood bank and add pHix to a cube for the Capture and Echo and only buy one kind of saline...OR....do I keep the Nerl Saline for everything else and buy the S/P Saline for Capture/Echo?

What is everybody elso doing?

Thanks for your help!

:confused:

We make up one cube of the S/P Certified BB Saline plus pHix to use for the Echo and we use the S/P Certified BB Saline for everything else in BB. However, if many others are using the pHix buffered saline for everything else in BB, it seems that you could do whichever you prefer.

When I talked to Immucor's technical people about my Fetalscreen issues, I was told that Immucor uses the pHix buffered saline for everything they do. We are still using NERL buffered saline for our manual testing and pHix buffered saline for the Echo. My rationale for this is... I've been too lazy to do any validation studies to switch saline. Since I have 2 cubes of saline open all the time anyway, it hasn't been an urgent thing. I would say, do whatever works best for you.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We had this same discussion with Immucor when we got our Echo. The only reason they could give me for Phix vs. Nerl is that is what they used to get licensed. We were adding Phix to Nerl saline and decided we were double buffering. We now use Nerl buffered saline, but check the pH before we put it on the machine. We have had no issues.

We had this same discussion with Immucor when we got our Echo. The only reason they could give me for Phix vs. Nerl is that is what they used to get licensed. We were adding Phix to Nerl saline and decided we were double buffering. We now use Nerl buffered saline, but check the pH before we put it on the machine. We have had no issues.

I think that checking the pH is a reasonable thing to do if using the NERL saline.