Wise Ole Sayings

L106

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite quotes is from Albert Schweitzer:

In everybody's life,at some time,our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.

I have been lucky to encounter many inspirational people in the last few years, personally, professionally and on BBT too.

From Dr. Ruth Guy..."When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras.aa' Translation: When trying to explain problems seen in immunohematology, look first for the more common explanations, not the most unusual or rare.

I always liked the old one - "independent as a hog on ice" and have used it to describe physicians who would rather prove themselves fools rather than ask a question and staff who wouldn't ask for help if their life (or somenone else's life, for that matter) depended on it.

You might need to be from hog country to get that one, but pigs are an independent lot and if you think you can get a hold of one on ice, forget it!

I always liked the old one - "independent as a hog on ice" and have used it to describe physicians who would rather prove themselves fools rather than ask a question and staff who wouldn't ask for help if their life (or somenone else's life, for that matter) depended on it.

I just (as politely as possible) call these type of physicians and tell them what they should consider doing/prescribing for their patient. They normally do what I suggest.

Now, the staff statement...I intervene immediately if I see a co-worker doing something that is not in the best interest of the patient. People's lives depend on us (as you well know) to get it right every time!!!! Reminds me of a comment made by a Tech I worked with long ago...."There are no Do-Overs in Blood Bank". Meaning, of course, the decisions you make need to be right the first time! You may well not get another chance to make a different one.

Not in the slightest bit useful but chastening for those making unreasonable demands is my favourite - which I first saw on a Transfusion laboratory wall some 35 years ago - and which has never achieved any positive effect when quoted to doctors, nurses or teenagers - is

Failure to plan on your part does not constitue an emergency on mine

I just (as politely as possible) call these type of physicians and tell them what they should consider doing/prescribing for their patient. They normally do what I suggest.

Now, the staff statement...I intervene immediately if I see a co-worker doing something that is not in the best interest of the patient. People's lives depend on us (as you well know) to get it right every time!!!! Reminds me of a comment made by a Tech I worked with long ago...."There are no Do-Overs in Blood Bank". Meaning, of course, the decisions you make need to be right the first time! You may well not get another chance to make a different one.

Just wanted to point out that, of course, I used both the interventions you mentioned plus more when the occassion needed! The description was provided only for describe - not to imply that I let the situations go out of control while I commented.

I'll try again to post these, don't think they made it the first time. They are not necesasarily limited to the lab.

"I can resist everything but temptation." - Mark Twain

"Vanity playes lurid tricks with our memories." - Joseph Conrad

"You can always tell a Vermonter (or doctor, or administrator....) but you can't tell them much." - my father, referring to my mother who came from Vermont.

"My mind's made up - don't confuse me with the facts." - Dad again (probably refering to Mom again)

"A man without a purpose is like a pump without a handle. It's neither useful nor ornamental." - Dad.

"He's a pimple on the a** of progress." - Dad.

I'll try again to post these, don't think they made it the first time. They are not necesasarily limited to the lab.

"I can resist everything but temptation." - Mark Twain

"You can always tell a Vermonter (or doctor, or administrator....) but you can't tell them much." - my father, referring to my mother who came from Vermont.

"My mind's made up - don't confuse me with the facts." - Dad again (probably refering to Mom again)

"A man without a purpose is like a pump without a handle. It's neither useful nor ornamental." - Dad.

I think I'd get on well with your Dad!

An old (very old) chestnut, but nevertheless, apt,

"It never rains, but it pours."

Two brand new unrelated patients today; both with anti-U!

Yippee:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

The technical education that Blood Bank Talk offers is terrific! It's a wonderful opportunity to seek help, recommend suggestions, and share opinions. But a lighthearted story or humerous event makes the day a little brighter, as obvious from the wildly popular thread "Just For Laughs."

Welcome to this new thread titled "Wise Ole Sayings". Please share some of your favorite wise ole sayings that have inspired you or brought a smile to your face. (Inspirations and smiles are good!)

1. His Brain hides behind his Pituitary

2. I would offer a penny for your thoughts but I would expect change.

Two quotes used regularly by an old Consultant Haematologist referring to young trainees.

Love these!!!

Some people like those motivational posters... I prefer the ones from "demotivators" (check out their web page).

In our BB, we have the one: "It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black."

It really helps to keep things in perspective, because really... things can always get worse, so lighten up!

Linda Frederick

Whoa...two Anti-U's in the same day???? You had a fun day, huh?

Yep, and it is going to get better, as there is every chance that both will require transfusion, and they are at different hospitals, many miles from one another - so we can't even reserve the units for both - we have reserve units for each.

Hey hoe!

:(:(:(:(:(

Yep, and it is going to get better, as there is every chance that both will require transfusion, and they are at different hospitals, many miles from one another - so we can't even reserve the units for both - we have reserve units for each.

Hey hoe!

:(:(:(:(:(

Here in the US we have to rely on frozen units for Anti-U patients. Is it the same there in the UK?

Here in the US we have to rely on frozen units for Anti-U patients. Is it the same there in the UK?

Well ,yes and no (a really helpful answer, I realise!).

Because we have been screening for rare phenotypes for about 25 years here at Tooting, we have a number of "tame" U- donors upon whom we can call whe we need them, so that we have fresh "wet" units. The only problem is, sometimes these donors are bled for a specific patient, and it turns out that this patient does not require transfusion (blood was, however, required on stand-by).

These units are then sent up to the National Frozen Blood Bank for cryopreservation, if they are less than 7 days old.

However, because the donor has given blood, there is a "rest period" they must take before we can attack their veins again, so, if they are side-lined for this reason, then, yes, we do have to rely on frozen blood.

The problem with that is that we have a considerable number of patients throughout the UK with anti-U, but only a finite number of active U- donors, and so the number of U- units frozen is never great, and they have to be "rationed out" by a Consultant.

It's not easy!

:):):(:(:eek::eek::(:(:):)

The problem with that is that we have a considerable number of patients throughout the UK with anti-U, but only a finite number of active U- donors, and so the number of U- units frozen is never great, and they have to be "rationed out" by a Consultant.

:):):(:(:eek::eek::(:(:):)

I find the difference in population percentages of antigen/antibodies between our countries very interesting. An anti-U here in the US is very rare. I might have seen a total of 4 or so in my whole career!! Which ,as you know, is a good thing because getting compatible blood is a pain in the you-know-what!!!!

I find the difference in population percentages of antigen/antibodies between our countries very interesting. An anti-U here in the US is very rare. I might have seen a total of 4 or so in my whole career!! Which ,as you know, is a good thing because getting compatible blood is a pain in the you-know-what!!!!

It is true that anti-U is rare (usually -yesterday excepted!), but this being London, we have quite a high ethnic mix, including a high Black population, and we have some 50 odd hospitals on our books, and all anti-U's (and any other unusual antibodies) will come through the Reference Laboratory as a matter of course.

We, therefore, see a fairly high number of antibody specificities that most people would only see once or twice in their lives (and which is why I just LOVE working here, even if that does make me sound a bit odd [or odder])!

Pregnant lady, with anti-k today!

:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Malcolm Needs

A lot of times someone will come up with a fix for a problem, or a way to describe a problem, and I think that they're "putting lipstick on a pig"...yes it may be prettier, but it is still a pig :-).

Oh, Heather......This is the perfect expression for what I have felt so many times! Thanks!