New FFP Freezer , what manufacturers?

ChrisH

Been out of the Big Blood Bank environment for a while. So not sure who the good companies are now. My research shows the following companies:

Nor-Lake Scientific

Harris

Revco (which looks like the Harris)

Jewett

Helmer

Are there any to stay away from? We currently have a small under the counter and now need to get a bigger single door (full size unit)

Thanks for any input. Chris

We have both a Helmer and a Revco. The Helmer is brand new and we have had nothing but problems with it. While we have had some problems with the Revco, they haven't been as numerous and it is also much older. We also just got a Helmer fridge which is working wonderfully so who knows. My best advise to you would be to keep your "under the counter" as back up. :cool:

I had a Helmer i-Series freezer for about 4 years before I left and found it to be a very good reliable unit. I recommend the i-Series with all the electronic brains. It gives you a little more flexibility in monitoring the temperatures. My only complaint with Helmer is the little 4" recording charts. When you get to the average age of most blood bankers they can be a little hard to read.:haha:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been really happy with a 5 yr old unit from Gem. It is on temp 24/7 and never an issue. I found out about the Gem line from our pharmacy group that has units over 15 yrs old and never any problems. I would not change for anything. I just bought 2 new refrigerators and the units were brought right to my area by their people - cutomer service is impectable. I know all they make is refrigerators and freezers and they have definately mastered it. I have one more Jewet to replace then I am done with them completely - that is when I get my budget approved.

I had a Helmer i-Series freezer for about 4 years before I left and found it to be a very good reliable unit. I recommend the i-Series with all the electronic brains. It gives you a little more flexibility in monitoring the temperatures. My only complaint with Helmer is the little 4" recording charts. When you get to the average age of most blood bankers they can be a little hard to read.:haha:

Same here; we got this freezer in May and except for the dinky little charts, it's been great.

Pet Peeve: WHY can't any two instruments have the same chart drive? We have six different charts for six different freezers/refrig.