NAT error

emadib

No responses in 3 days...

Anyway, I started to get some informatuin through continuous search...

Multiplex NAT for HBV, HCV and HIV.

Your help and comments are welcomed.

Edited by emadib
explaining progress

This is my first post and no one of moderators welcomed me !!!!

emadib,

Welcome to BBT.

This is not the introductions forum, we have a separate section for that so the forums don't get cluttered. See here.

As for your question, my suggestion would be to review the FDA's site for USA related information. Their site is located here.

emadib,

Welcome to BBT.

This is not the introductions forum, we have a separate section for that so the forums don't get cluttered. See here.

As for your question, my suggestion would be to review the FDA's site for USA related information. Their site is located here.

Thank you Cliff

I have some questions regarding CT ratio

Can you help give me a link to FAQs regarding this issue in any of this website forums or elsewhere?

CT ratio is just the number of units of blood doctors order crossmatched divided by the number of those units that get transfused. The AABB Technical Manual probably gives a description, but there really isn't that much to it. Interpreting the results depends on the specialty of the doc or facility and your patient population, but most hospitals try to keep the CT ratio below 2.

Thanks Mabel,

i need some details regarding ct ratio calculation and its use

in case of no units crossmatched we have a zero value

in case many units crossmached with non of them transfused we have "infinity" value regardless of how many units crossmatched

a little bit confusing

can any body give a link for a page or document that cover the ct ratio issue thoroughly?

Edited by emadib

Ideally, as stated above, you want your C/T ratio to be less than 2. Anything higher points to inefficiency (you are crossmatching too many units that are never transfused...so wasted tech time, etc). A C/T ratio of 1 would be ideal, meaning that each unit that you crossmatch is used. You really shouldn't ever have a C/T ratio of zero; if you are never transfusing any units that you crossmatch, then why are you doing the work?

We don't crossmatch a lot here until we have an order from the doc to transfuse, or we have a patient with a very low hemoglobin, or they are going for a high risk surgery, such as a AAA repair. Otherwise, we wait until they want it and do a quick immediate spin crossmatch.

Of course if a patient has antibodies, we do crossmatch those because we can't just do immediate spin.

If you get zero because you transfused units but you never crossmatched them, you would be violating normal BB rules in the US. Even blood given uncrossmatched is crossmatched after the fact. Thus, you could mathematically get a result of zero, but not logically.

It is not mathematically meaningful to divide by zero so if you never transfuse any that you crossmatch you should get an invalid answer, not infinity. Math aside, if either of these is your situation then you have circumstances that do not require statistics to evaluate and understand what is going on. Just think about what it means if you are crossmatching a lot of units and none are transfused. I guess I would be asking "why?" not what the CT ratio is.

emadib

You calculate the C/T ratio from totals, not for each transaction. The C/T ratio is well known to nurse managers, so it is part of most hospitals QA program. For your blood bank it is important, but he numbers from which it is derived are even more important. The total number of crossmatches reflects your workload for the month. The totals number of units transfused reflects your bill from your supplier. if you are setting up a QA surveillance, you may want to also track the total number of plasma and platelets transfused, the number of units re-typed, and the number of transfusion reactions. These are the essentials. Good luck; and belatedly, welcome.