Any AABB Assessors Out There?

jhaig

I have some information from the AABB website on becoming an AABB assessor. I was hoping to talk with anyone who has become an assessor about how they did it and what it takes to become one. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have some intelligent questions as well as some stupid ones, too. Thanks.

I am an AABB Assessor. You learn a lot when you go and do the assessment. Yeah you do have to put your on time to review material and the emost important thing is to know your standard/regulatory requirement.

You need to have three years BB experience, then you can apply to become an assessor. If your application is approved, you have to attend 1 day seminar. Once you pass your quiz you get to go on training assessment and if you pass training assessment, you will be assigned to do assessment. I recommend you to become team member first.

If you are a person who likes to learn new things, wants to do some thing different ...go for it. DOing assessment definetly helps you to keep your blood bank in compliance. I usually go back and check my place to make sure I am in compliance. By doing two assessment a year you will look at standard atleast twice a year.

aakupaku offers sound advice on the assessment process . . . my $0.02 is to make sure you perform any assessments with an open mind. There are many ways to be in compliance . . . understanding the standards is important. Applying that knowledge to individual institutions may be challenging. I always preface my assessments with the statement that "This is your institution and you know what works for you; I am only interested in seeing that the functions you perform are in compliance with the standards". I strongly believe that as an AABB assessor I am NOT there to pass judgement on the institution's procedures; I am there to see that they have policies, processes, and procedures in place to accomodate the standards. I am not there to tell them they should or shouldn't be doing something. What they do and how they do it is not my assessment function. The basic question is are they in compliance . . . they know what they need for their operation - is it compliant? Of course, if they ask me to evaluate something in particular, I am happy to put my $0.02 in - but NOT as a representative of AABB, but as a blood bank professional. The desk assessment is the most important thing you can do - - - you have to understand the operation prior to going there. I also look at the QP to see if they do any reviews/and I ask to see the latest. The best (and most devious) thing is to look at a few components that have final disposition. check to see that everyone who did something to that component was trained to do what they did (including transporters, Nurses, aides, tech staff - anyone who touched it in the history trail). You can find a lot of system problems with this simple technique. Enjoy the assessment experience. You'll find the the National Office folks are very helpful, you'll learn a lot, and make great networking aquaintences.

David, how come you never came to my facility as an assessor?? :winkrazz:

I would have truly enjoyed one with your attitude toward the assessment. Most of mine were of the attitude that their way was the only way and there was no room fro discussion. I've actually refused a couple when they were assigned a second time. :disbelief

Just an additional note, you have to be an AABB member in order to be an assessor.

I have been doing assessment for more than 10 years now. I agree with david that you have to be open minded when doing assessments. I try not to do more than 2 assessments a year.I live in Buffalo, NY and I travelled as far as Maddison Wisconsin and Duluth Minnesota. I did some inspections as a team member, as team lead and the only one on a team of 1.

David & Skopti,

you are right we always have to make sure is the facility meeting a standard? They may be doing things differently then you do. I see a big difference when I assess a small facility. i work at level I truma center. But it is fun. I always wanted to be an assessor. As soon as I completed 3 yrs BB experience I applied to become an assessor.

AABB folks @ national office are very helpful. I contacted them once when we had disagreement with the interpretation of standard.(Of course my team lead e-mailed them).

I really enjoy going for an assessment.

I have been an assessor for 11 years. The training AABB gives is excellent and you will be challenged to really know the Standards. It is challenging to have a short period of time to figure out how things run in the institution you are assessing. People use different phrases for the same idea even when they speak the same language. It is very valuable to be able to go out and see how other institutions are complying with Standards. Every assessment I go on gives me new ideas or reminds me of things I meant to put in place, but haven't yet. It also broadens your perspective and gives you networking contacts. If you handle the assessment well (regardless of the outcome in terms of non-conformances cited), the people you have assessed will be happy to remain in contact with you to exchange ideas.

You can get tapped to go as far away as you are willing to go. If you are really nice to Sheila (she is the Queen of the assignments) and do well in your assignments, you could even get assigned to an international team.

If you also do CAP inspections, that gives you yet another perspective.

The main thing is to keep an open mind and make sure that you are using the Standards (or the checklist, in the case of CAP) and not your personal position as a basis for evaluating compliance.

• 1 month later...

I have been an assessor since AABB changed from inspectors to assessors. I was trained at a local workshop held in the Boston, MA area. Because I am an HPC assessor I am usually part of a team where AABB Assessors are the paid leads. I have learned much from them. I agree you need to keep an open mind, ask yourself "Does this process meet the intent of the standard?" The other point is to call any questions/potential problems in to the central office.

The AABB website will become one of your favorites because there is a wealth of valuable items. As an assessor you are required to perform 2 volunteer assessment per year and recertify every two years with various CEU. Attending the AABB annual meeting assessor training and CE session is THE BEST way to become and maintain assessor status. I did not travel in my early years outside of New England but now I go anywhere I can. Sheila is terrific and has a thankless job of coordinating assessments. The travel agency does the airfare which I try to coordinate with the Lead Assessors so we can share transportation.

• 1 year later...