Plasma thawer

Hippokrates

Dear All,

we're about to buy a new plasma-thawer and we came across some American brands that are not so popular in Germany right now.

Maybe you can give some advice on these brands, the model you're using and your experience:

1. Thermogenesis -thermoline thawers

2. Phototerm - cytotherm

3. Helmerinc. - quick thaw

Thanks a lot

We bought two of the large Helmer thawers a little over a year ago and love them. We also have a four bag Thermogenesis that is about 10 years old and has been pretty reliable. The techs prefer the Helmer thawers. The Helmers allow you to run each 4-bag side independently. We also had a 10 bag Thermogenesis for about 8 years but retired it last year as it required frequent repairs. The water pump needed replacement about every 9 months and the techs had to wheel it to a utility room with a floor drain to perform the periodic drain and clean. The Helmers are bench top models and if on a counter near a sink can be drained into the sink. I do not have any experience with the cytotherm.

We are using a small Themogenesis and like it a lot. It gives us a quick thaw and has been pretty dependable. Very easy to use.

We also have had a problem with corrosion in a pump seal but now recognize it in it's early stages because of the little quirks the equipment shows. Biomed stocks the part so we schedule the replacement and are not down for more than a few hours. It's only once every 18 -24 months. I think that was a design flaw that they supposely have corrected - that you could check.

We used to have a Cytotherm. We had quite a bit of trouble with it and our BioMed staff were really glad when we retired it.

We have had the small Helmer tabletop thawer (that holds 4 units) since 2001 and we really, really like it. I can't recall ever having a problem with it since we have had it. (You do want it near a sink to making draining and cleaning easier.)

We have have very good luck with any equipment we have ever purchased from Helmer. All equipment seems very reliable, customer service have been very helpful when I have requested price quotes, they responded promptly when we needed a rush order for a new platelet agitator when we had a "little crisis". I will definitely consider them if we should need to replace our blood refrigerators. (I have become increasingly disappointed in Jewett's products during the last few years. That's such a shame, considering that they were the "gold standard" for so many years.)

Donna Brandis Ehler, MT/SBB