Immucor's ECHO machine

csongbird

Has anyone interfaced the ECHO to a DI Instrument Manager?

We just got the DI in our 'core lab' (it is not up and running yet), but we have not interfaced the Echo and we probably will not. We are primarily a transfusion service, so having automated resulting of the type & screen doesn't really gain that much for us, we still need to get the product assigned & out.

To ANORRIS, from what I have heard, Meditech Client/Server interface isn't available yet. We are Magic, so I don't really keep up with that. We are interfaced with Meditech Magic 5.62, currently working on the upgrade to 5.63 (that includes a fix for the antibody screen problems).

Linda Frederick

We export results to our Orchard LIS. I wouldn't have it any other way. The potential for manual transcription errors is just too critical not to take every available oportunity to reduce that potential. 100 years ago*, when I was a fledgling blood banker, my mentor told me that 90% of the errors in blood bank are clerical in nature. I think that remains true to this day. Why tempt fate?

* may be a bit of an exaggeration.

We just got the DI in our 'core lab' (it is not up and running yet), but we have not interfaced the Echo and we probably will not. We are primarily a transfusion service, so having automated resulting of the type & screen doesn't really gain that much for us, we still need to get the product assigned & out.

To ANORRIS, from what I have heard, Meditech Client/Server interface isn't available yet. We are Magic, so I don't really keep up with that. We are interfaced with Meditech Magic 5.62, currently working on the upgrade to 5.63 (that includes a fix for the antibody screen problems).

Linda Frederick

It's good to have atleast unidirectional (bidirectional is best) interface with instrument. What is the use of automation if you are going to rely on manual clerical enteries of the result. We have bidirectional interface with ProVUe..it's great...we just have to make sure we are applying correct label to specimen. We have it cover in our policy that we order one patient at a time. and before exporting result to LIS, we are suppose to check the label to make sure our barcode label and typenex label matches. We have ProVue for >5 years and so far no label error:fingerscr

I guess I should have been more clear in my response. We DO have the Echo interfaced to Meditech, we are just not going through the DI Middelware for the interface. I dont' know of any advantage to go through middleware for this analyzer. Middleware seems best if you are going to use autoverification for Chemistry, Coag, Heme, etc. results. I wouldn't want to autoverify BB results (too many messages about patient special needs, etc.)

Linda Frederick

• 1 year later...

It takes a day to install and run the IQ and OQ procedures assuming all goes well. The interface installation usualy takes longer, so although installed there is usualy a delay in it's routine use, but it does mean validation can begin pretty quickly.

Phil

I installed and validated our Echo over two years ago and overall the Echo is a good instrument, the mechanical operation is relatively simple with quick and easy maintenance. For facilities with moderate to large volumes of routine testing it does free up a lot of bench time.

The patient data organization is cumbersome for facilities that are not computerized. However, when interfaced with a Blood Bank computer system the Echo will download worklists and upload patient test results fairly seamlessly.

The functionality of the analyzer is also somewhat limited to ABO, RH, Antibody Screen, IgG DAT, and Antibody ID panels. While it is capable of running other functions such as forward typing of donor units and crossmatch testing these are more complicated and time consuming than manual testing.

One of the best cost effective features that I have found is that many of Immucor's tube typing reagents are used on the Echo as well, reducing the number of reagents need to maintain two methods.

We did have some issues with validation. The analyzer will only detect IgG antibodies, which led to us removing the crossmatch option from our testing due to incompatible blood types being reported as compatible. This also prevents the analyzer from detecting cold reactive IgM antibodies, which could be clinically significant in surgical cases where the body temperature would be lowered.

The much increased sensitivity for IgG reactivity can cause problems when starting out as you may notice and increase of positive antibody screens with no identifiable specificity when tested against ID panels. We have found through experience that many of these patients with non-specific reactivity actually develop identifiable antibodies when tested at a later date, leading us to believe that the Echo may be picking up very low titers of certain antibodies.

I would recommend this analyzer for any facility with moderate to high volume of routine testing that could be batched, and had the ability to have an interfaced computer system.

If you have any questions fell free to contact me directly.

A good description of the Echo from mjshepherd. As an aside, the Echo is capable of uni-directional, bi-directional and full host query operation and uses a pretty standard ASTM file protocol for all interface data exchanges (query, order and result files) via RS232 serial, TCP/IP sockets or TCP/IP flat file transfer. For ease of use and full automation, host query should be adopted which works well and is easy to use on the Echo. Selection of the type of interface is accomplished through a few basic settings in a configuration file. If TCP/IP is used via the hospital network, It should be noted that Anti-Virus software should not be used on the Echo as it has been shown to interfere with its performance. Because of this we used to install a hardware firewall between the Echo PC and the hospital network minimizing the need for AV software on the Echo hence avoiding issues.

Phil

I would recommend it for a smaller lab with no computer as well. When staffing is tight, it can save your sanity. If you're used to doing all your paperwork on actual paper, adjusting your routine to work with Echo is a minor issue.

I also see an advantage in the increased sensitivity for antibody detection/identification and the ability to use some of the same reagents for tube and automation.

There is no way I would part with ours.

We have Echos in 7 of our 9 hospitals, with hospital number 8 getting one by the end of the year. With decreased staffing and generalists working everywhere, I feel more confident having an instrument do our work. That being said, we are working out how to deal with those non-specific antibodies consistently.

• 3 weeks later...

clmergen:

do you have an agreed-upon protocol across your several hospitals re reporting when Echo screen positive, then ?tube LISS or PEG or how you follow up, is negative? call negative? do more? we are new ECHO users, strong opinions re "what we're missing in tube" by some, others "balance clinical significance or likelihood- call negative if tube negative". thanks for any help!

We do have an agreed upon protocol although I have to admit that it changes often as we become more familiar with the instrument. If the Echo screen and panel results are all positive and tube (LISS) is negative, we call it a Solid Phase Reacting AB and we have a comment written by the TS Medical Director for the physicians. We perform AHG crossmatches which must be compatible and we do a Deviation Report that is signed by the Medical Director also.

If we have "extra" reactions on the echo but all significant AB are ruled out, we do do the same as above but we don't do the tube screen.

If we can't rule out on the Echo and must do tube testing, we run at least one cell that is positive for the suspected antibody(ies). It must be positive or we don't use tube to rule out.