Spock's Blood Type

rcurrie

Oh, he's got a defined blood type, John. He had to give his father, Sarek, a vein to vein transfusion when McCoy had to do open heart surgery on Sarek.

I do have a hobby. I run passenger trains on weekends. Saturday night I had right at 200 people aboard for a Valentine's Special. We had prime rib with all the fixin's, a violinist, and 3 open bars. As engineer, I could partake of the adult beverages, but I sure stopped the train halfway through the trip and went back to the buffet car and filled a plate.

A free trip on my train to the first person who can correctly identify Spock's blood type. Google if you want.

BC

Since Bob already has a hobby I'm thinking it might be time for him to up his ADHD meds--or maybe sign into rehab for his speed addiction. :)

I am still trying to figure out how he fit 30 years of train driving in with everything else. The only logical thing is he kept driving trains while he went to college, MT school and law school. Aren't there rules about running a train with no sleep?

If I remember correctly Spock had quite a struggle with his human half so if he is T neg as Donellda has stated is the neg Rh neg from his human side or is he neg for some Volcan specific antigen? I do remember the transfusion but I don't recall if they addressed the compatibility issue of a half Volcan with a full Vulcan. That brings up another question. Was Spock a sterile hybred like a mule. Boy this thread is sure leading down strange paths. See what you've started Bob. Now it will never end. But it is kinda fun to get side tracked once in awhile ;>)

Correct, Donna. Spock and his pappy are both T neg (Bart Simpson is AB double negative for those that didn't know). McCoy wondered about the human blood antigens interfering with compatibility, but apparently there were no acute hemolytic transfusion reactions, as Sarek pulled through the operation just fine. No mention of delayed serological reactions. Donna, anytime you want to come to Texas and ride my train (www.austinsteamtrain.org) I will provide you with 2 free passes. Just let me know and I will sign up to be the engineer. Mabel, I ran trains for a living for 21 years. Yes, I did keep working full time as a locomotive engineer while I went to school and got my BSMT. It was murder. I averaged 3 hours of sleep Monday through Friday and tried to make up for it on weekends. My average hours at the throttle were 96 hours per week while I was in school. I just do it on weekends now, although I do consultation work for a rapid transit company on occasion.

John, there was an episode where Spock's mating hormones kicked in and he had to go to Planet Vulcan to find a mate (September 15, 1967, episode #34). There was actually a cure to the mating urge- he had to participate in the Kunat kalifee, the Vulcan mating ritual, where he had to fight Kirk to the death (although obviously he didn't go through with it). So, probably not a sterile hybrid.

BC

My husband seems to remember Spock's blood being copper based rather than iron based. Don't some insects have copper based blood?

I don't think sterile hybrids necessary lack the urge--just the offspring. Also, occasionally mules are fertile--as have been Pizzly bears (polar-grizz cross) I think I read recently.

Shall we see how far this can range? I think we have the right kind of minds here to go far.

Most insects don't have "blood" per se, nor do they have hemoglobin per se. They have hemolymph, which is similar to our lymph, and that hemolymph contains dissolved gasses (O2 and CO2, etc.). Copper-based oxygen transport pigments are blue rather than green (called hemocyanin). I have personal experience with hemocyanin, having done pure research for a year on Biomphalaria glabrata, a snail which has hemocyanin as the respiratory pigment. The green color in Spock's blood may be due to valadium instead. There are some organisms with green blood due to valadium, although valadium doesn't play an oxygen transport role as do copper and iron.

BC

This all goes back to my childhood. I think I watched every Star Trek episode (the original one) but I could not tell you which episode ran when. I have a brother who could though. The T blood type stuck in my mind and was the first thing that came to mind when you posed the question Bob. I did have to confirm it and I really didn't remember that he actually had an Rh type until I looked it up.

A train ride sounds like fun! I don't have any plans in the near future to go to Texas but if I do, I will certainly take you up on the train ride!:D

• 2 years later...

I had heard (can't prove it) that JFK, Marilyn Monroe and Adolf Hitler were group AB.

Some Japanese think your ABO group defines your character (not your personality though). Group AB people are supposed to be charismatic- but flakey and unreliable.

Hmmmmm.....

You presume inaccurately Malcolm.

Here is one of the theories:

Group As are sensitive perfectionists, but may be too anxious.

Group Bs are optimists, but selfish and sometimes display eccentric behavior.

Group Os are curious, generous, but stubborn.

Group ABs have artistic talent, full of mystery, but not easy to control.

See how inaccurate that is. There is absolutely no way I am stubborn and I am pretty sure Malcolm is not eccentric. Right????l

Reference Takeji Furukawa, The Study of Temperament Through Blood Type. Psychological Research 1927

By the way, this study was done on 20 people and designed to prove that group O people were rebellious. Fair enought then.

You presume inaccurately Malcolm.

Here is one of the theories:

Group As are sensitive perfectionists, but may be too anxious.

Group Bs are optimists, but selfish and sometimes display eccentric behavior.

Group Os are curious, generous, but stubborn.

Group ABs have artistic talent, full of mystery, but not easy to control.

See how inaccurate that is. There is absolutely no way I am stubborn and I am pretty sure Malcolm is not eccentric. Right????l

Reference Takeji Furukawa, The Study of Temperament Through Blood Type. Psychological Research 1927

By the way, this study was done on 20 people and designed to prove that group O people were rebellious. Fair enought then.

No, no Tim, I'm a sensitive perfectionist, who is paranoid! I'm group A.

:D

Dunno!!!..........but something that combines stubborn, eccentric, perfectionist, with a large seasoning of helpfulness and wit. Could be we need to look into the Rh type as well to further sub-classify?

Edited by RR1

Nice job of hijacking a perfectly fun thread and taking it in a bizarre direction!

:nana::nana:

Sorry John. You are quite right. I should have started a new thread myself.

Mind you, having said that, the blood group of Bart Simpson and Spock is a bizarre subject in itself (and the thread was two years old)!

:surrender:surrender:surrender