Crossmatch on ProVue

Eagle Eye

• 2 years later...

I've only recently been introduced to the Provue and am not fully trained. However, when performing IAT crossmatches the instrument is able to read an ISBT-28 barcode for the unit identification. This does cross over to the LIS.

Margaret Wilde, MT(ASCP)SBB

Hi! We also use the ProVue for AHG crossmatches and some IS crossmatches however.....we also use the ARC for all our blood products and they do not have labels that are converted to ISBT they are still codabar. Our crossmatches do not cross over to the LIS we enter them im manually from the print outs. We have not had any issues doing that.

AHG crossmatches on the PV are the way to go. We affix a barcode from the back of the unit (ISBT is not fully in place yet) and the PV reads the numbers just fine. You always have the option of entering the numbers manually if that doesn't work for you.

Our PV's are not interfaced with our LIS at all. We print results and then enter everything manually into LIS. Just another downfall of our "new and improved" computer system.---

Really? There are some of you out there still doing IS crossmatches? I thought that practice was dead and gone years ago!

We run our AHG crossmatches on ProVue and we are interfaced with our computer. The letters don't read from the barcode but with SoftBank, we don't have a problem with the correct results being entered into our computer. We do have the numbers programed so it does pass back from ProVue to the LIS.

• 3 weeks later...

We do all our unit confirmations on the Provue labeled with their unit number, we also do the IGG crossmatches on the Provue as well. The Provue does read the ISBT labels and the CODABAR labels as well, there only has to be a slight view adjustment to read the whole ISBT number. Your technical service person should be able to help you

We do just about everything on our Provues. We have 2 and we do AHG crossmatches ( we do electronic crossmatches on negative screens), type and screens, antibody panels, type rechecks, cord bloods, DAT's, and even weak D's. We are not interfaced but we just had an AABB inspector who has the same Cerner Millineum computer system we do who is interfaced and they don't have problems. We are anticipating interfacing next year.

I really have to encourage everyone to use their Provues for everything. We have cut the need for an extra FTE by having two Provues and we are not paperless yet so you know how much we have to write out.

Seems like many folks have problems interfacing the Provue. We are looking at new computer systems and instrumentation in the next year, so I'm interested:

Does anyone have a Provue that interfaced completely, and if so, what LIS do you have?

Whatever you do...just do NOT go with Cerner Millineum!! Worst system I have ever worked on...

Have anyone of you experienced MISYS (Sunquest GUI version) on automation? It hovers between GUI and the old roll-and-scroll DOS for its interfaces. I haven't experienced Cerner Millennium with automation, but it must be better than this! GUI apps are supposed to bring us into the future of the lab, but Sunquest cannot let go of the old. It's been over a year, but I understand that they had to write new software just to support ISBT-128!

What are other experiencing?

Margaret Wilde