Critical values

Go to solution Solved by Neil Blumberg,

• Solution

We have no critical values in the Blood Bank and we have a cancer center that sees thousands of patients per month.

And it is my recommendation that critical values be restricted to truly life threatening conditions that require treatment within minutes to hours (e.g., very high or low potassium).  I would most definitely NOT have critical values for things like creatinine/BUN, liver function tests, MCV, white count, etc.  Provides no clinically actionable information acutely, and wastes a lot of time in the lab and amongst practitioners.

4 hours ago, Neil Blumberg said:

We have no critical values in the Blood Bank and we have a cancer center that sees thousands of patients per month.

And it is my recommendation that critical values be restricted to truly life threatening conditions that require treatment within minutes to hours (e.g., very high or low potassium).  I would most definitely NOT have critical values for things like creatinine/BUN, liver function tests, MCV, white count, etc.  Provides no clinically actionable information acutely, and wastes a lot of time in the lab and amongst practitioners.

Thanks Dr Neil.

Things I have listed in my procedure:

1. If we have discovered an antibody on a patient who is about to go to surgery, we call the nurse in charge of the patient in Surgery Holding to let the physician know blood may not be available. The doc needs to know before the patient goes under the knife. Sometimes they delay the surgery and sometimes they proceed with caution.  (This issue can be avoided with a pretesting process that not all physicians use)

2. If we have a serious transfusion reaction due to ABO incompatibility, we would contact the patient physician and our pathologist immediately. 

3. We can't ID the antibody and the physician has requested RBC transfusion. Depending on the condition of the patient, they may still proceed with incompatible or least incompatible blood and sign a Medical Release or will probably wait until we can ID. It is up to the physician to make the call based on the patient. 

4. When we had babies, we considered a positive DAT as a critical result from the BB side and would call L/D.