1 or 2-person check for plasma protein product

TMGal

Need your advice...we currently require a 2-person check for infusion of plasma protein product. Is this necessary? A 2-person check is required in our standards for blood and blood components so was this simply extended to PPP or is there documentation somewhere that says we can perform a 1-person check? 

If you give the same product to all patients regardless of age, blood type, gender etc. then why an extra check?  Assess the risk for this product being infused improperly and compare that risk to other things that require 2-person check to see if it is anywhere near equivalent.  Probably there was some historical computer system that required it and now it is "how we've always done it".

When I was working on-call in a hospital laboratory, I was a lone worker.  I gave out blood, blood components and blood products without anyone checking me, apart, of course, from the patient's own immune system!

As far as I know, and I think I would, none of them had either an immediate or fatal haemolytic transfusion reaction.