New anti-sera

amym1586

The only time I have ever done correlations between antisera was when the manufactuer switched from AHG to RT. I had a few select people compare a few samples with the poly and then the mono and write results on a nice little form. Did training and got everyone's signatures. But really this was more of a process change. I do have something to show an inspector which is always a good thing!

The CAP standards state that reagents must be correlated. I somewhat freaked out about this so I called CAP to get the scoop. The lady at CAP said BB reagents were different and correlations were not required. BB reagents must meet FDA potency requirements and we do QC on each day of use. I think Chem and Heme must correlate because QC is not done every day or their results are more of a range. With BB you are either positive or negative, not alot of gray area. She said some reagents were very expensive and it would waste reagents to do correlations. She did say that we must correlate "kits" which would include FMH and Elu-kit and any other kits we use in BB. Bummer, but better than having to do all the rare and not so rare reagents.

I really wish CAP would be a bit more clear on the standards. If BB is exempt I wish that would be stated in the fine print. I want to do what I should for patient safety but I surely do not want to do more than is necessary. It is a waste of tech time and reagents. That is all for my rant!