LifeFlight contracts for blood units

Lbiggs

Looking into the requirements for such a contract and wondering if anyone out there knows a way around the FDA registration requirement for being a "distributor" of blood products in such a contract? Any information is greatly appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  From the term "LifeFlight" I'm assuming moving blood around the country?

Blood is flown around on commercial aircraft all the time.  I don't think FedEx or Delta Dash is FDA registered.

As far as FDA registration/license - nobody will do business with you if you as a blood center are not licensed.

So what exactly do you want to know?

Called the FDA today and as long as we send the blood such as sending it to a department, obtain storage temperature records and a physician signature for the uncross matched units if they are given; we are not required to maintain an FDA registration. We will still "own" the units. Several hospitals around the states provide this service. Now for the policy building. Going to be a busy week!

We don't allow transfusing in ambulances because there is no nurse present. The helicopter we do because a nurse is on the team. In my state (NY) they are just starting to allow EMTs and paramedics to be able to transfuse but there are many questions about training and competency....who does it, who maintains the records, etc. So we are still allowing nurses only for now.