Do you have a flowchart or algorithm to share?

HI all, I am still fairly new to the small blood bank I am supervising and am finding many SOPs where the flow of process just kind of ends with "record on worksheet" with no follow-up, next step, whatever about what to do if a result (ie a  DAT) is positive. Many follow-up steps are "understood" here and I want to get them on paper. I'm thinking that a basic flowchart or algorithm type cheat sheet might be nice to use to lead the techs to the correct follow-up step and I could add that that to several procedures. We have many techs who float in and out of the Blood Bank so they don't get constant exposure to some processes and need to rely on written SOPs.

If you have a flowchart or something visual for one or more procedures (AB ID, DATs, eluates, ABO discrepencies, etc) and would like to share these, please send me a PM. Thanks and Happy 4th of July to my fellow USA'ers!

I was very familiar with Visio.  It's a great program.  I developed the SOP manual for the new computer system in my previous life utilizing it almost exclusively.  Most of those being trained on the system really like the flow chart flormat for the SOPs.  A few didn't but you'll have that with every project.  Sorry but I no longer have access to that work or I would be happy to share it.  The process is simple, start at the beginning walk step by step to the end and then give it to you most experienced staff member and your least experienced staff member and see if they can follow it.  Be sure and listen to any suggestions either may have.  There you have it, my dose of wisdom for the day.  Good luck.  :crazy:

On a side note I was able to use Visio to design my transfusion service in a new hospital.  I put windows in the design and believe it or not I actually got the windows!!!  :boogie:  

If you have a flowchart or something visual for one or more procedures (AB ID, DATs, eluates, ABO discrepencies, etc) and would like to share these, please send me a PM.

I would dearly love some examples as well. I am a working BB Supervisor and with loss of several staff members in the lab I find myself covering BB as well as helping to cover Chemistry as well. Unfortunately the "off bench" tasks get left behind.

If anyone can send some examples please PM me. It would be so VERY MUCH appreciated!

Sandy