Hazy reactions in Ortho Gel Cards

silverblood

If hazy reactions occur in Ortho Gel card antibody testing what does this signify? Would a hazy reaction be considered a positive or false positive reaction and how would one proceed to resolve this problem? Would one proceed to a gel panel or first use another method ( i.e. tube testing) ? How would one report such a reaction?

After a while with gel you get an idea of what is junk and what is a possible weak reaction. But you have to be carefull -- screening cell sets are almost always all positive for M, for instance, so you can see how a weak reaction for that may look like "junk" panagglutination.

We would normally try a sreen in tube,  So if the tube screen is negative, we report that as a negative screen for the patient. 

Scott

I agree with both the above posters - we used Ortho cards for many years in which time I was one of the (guilty) parties bothering Malcolm with 'junk' until we had built up enough experience to have the confidence of SMiller.

I always thought there tended to be a clearer meniscus at the top of the cell button with weak antibodies compared to 'junk'

We always maintained two different IAT techniques to resolve such problems, especially as some patients - eg with AIHA - were untestable by Ortho as they gave 4+ reactions with all cells however carefully we prewarmed everything in sight which would have made antibody screening and crossmatching something of a challenge unless we had an alternative technique available.

From my experience if I understand your description of "hazy reactions" correctly, is how Anti-M (IgM) often react.  A lot of the Anti-M's that I get are not your normal gel positive reaction.  Rather, they are a fuzziness up the gel column, usually on the Homozygous cells only.  I think I have seen this with some other colds as well.