Group o to a group b

Most blood in the USA today is additive solution, there is very little O plasma remaining in these cells. I can't imagine that transfusing group O rbcs in quantity to an A or B or AB would present a problem even if there was a high titer ABO ab in the original unit. If you are using plain old rbcs (<80% hct), you might end up with some minor side incompatibilities . . . might have to do AHG xms when you try to switch back to the original type - until they are compatible.

Thank you all for your answer, we do not keep b units in stock as very little use for them. We are a good 70 mins away from the blood centre and the next best thing was group o, we gave 7 units of o and I wondered if it would have any clinical impact as the anaesthetist was not happy.

Thank you all for your answer, we do not keep b units in stock as very little use for them. We are a good 70 mins away from the blood centre and the next best thing was group o, we gave 7 units of o and I wondered if it would have any clinical impact as the anaesthetist was not happy.

I have a feeling that the anaesthetist would have been a good deal less happy if you had not provided anything!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes you just cannot win.

:angered::angered::angered::angered::angered::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

If you had no sample and the anesthesiologist had asked for emergency issue blood, he/she would have delighted to get group O and would not have worried about it a bit, even if you had given 15 units. Unfortunately physicians are not trained very much in transfusion medicine. My daughter (a family practice physician) told me everything she learned about Blood Banking she learned from me and nothing from medical school ( a top school in the northeast). she now says if she has a question she just goes to the blood bank supervisor (trained her well, didn't I?).

If you had no sample and the anesthesiologist had asked for emergency issue blood, he/she would have delighted to get group O and would not have worried about it a bit, even if you had given 15 units. Unfortunately physicians are not trained very much in transfusion medicine. My daughter (a family practice physician) told me everything she learned about Blood Banking she learned from me and nothing from medical school ( a top school in the northeast). she now says if she has a question she just goes to the blood bank supervisor (trained her well, didn't I?).

Just last night over Christmas dinner, I gave my physician (a pediatrican) daughter the identical advice when she asked why it took 3 hours to get some O neg on emergency release for a patient: ask the BB supervisor!