Antibody identification by crossmatching known panel cells against patient plasma

Our facility uses the ECHO by Immucor. Has anyone used the known liquid panels cells (panoscreen) as "donor cells" and patient plasma and performed a crossmatch to aid in antibody identification? If someone has done this, was there any validation or quality control defined by your facility?

No. If you purchase the three antibody identification panels that are available for the Eco, why would you do this testing using the liquid Panoscreen panel?

If we wanted to test the patient's plasma against selected panel cells from the liquid panel, we would simply perform the testing using PeG and tube testing technique.

Donna

If we wanted to test the patient's plasma against selected panel cells from the liquid panel, we would simply perform the testing using PeG and tube testing technique.

Donna

This is what we do also.

If you want to use the liquid panel cells, there is the option of using a manual Capture station. Using it for screens and panels would be about the same speed as manual gel. I've played with the manual station but don't have one set up/validated. I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort with the Echo.

OK folks, I'm getting old and a little odd but isn't crossmatching patient serum and liquid panel cells also known as Antibody Identification? At least it was in the distant, pre-automation past. Now if you are getting unusual results from the ECHO or any other methodology, common practice was to select a few more cells specifically and test them. It was not uncommon for this to shed a little light on a mystery.

Now if I have misunderstood the original question please forgive me and straighten me out. :confuse:

The issue with performing PEG or manual testing is that the comparison is not "apples to apples". Time and time again, the ECHO has proven to be a much more sensitive method versus other methods. The problem with the "three" panels available is that you are limited to IMMUCOR's selection. To match the automation's sensitivity, I chose selected wet cells and perform a crossmatch using the automation.

The issue with performing PEG or manual testing is that the comparison is not "apples to apples". Time and time again, the ECHO has proven to be a much more sensitive method versus other methods. The problem with the "three" panels available is that you are limited to IMMUCOR's selection. To match the automation's sensitivity, I chose selected wet cells and perform a crossmatch using the automation.

Ah! Now I understand.:ohmygod:At first I was like: "what is this guy talking about?"

That's an awesome way to run select cells on the ECHO to help i.d. antibodies without wasting a bunch of plasma doing full panels. I don't know how often I'd use this technique though as it is easier to do in Gel or tube as backup.

This is what we do also.

If you want to use the liquid panel cells, there is the option of using a manual Capture station. Using it for screens and panels would be about the same speed as manual gel. I've played with the manual station but don't have one set up/validated. I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort with the Echo.

We actually got the manual station before the ECHO and got quite used to reading reactions by eye, which has been a great asset when a specimen is running low, and we want to run just selected cells for rule out / rule in.

Due to the flexibility of the equipment, it is possible to create the assay with liquid cell, however keep in mind that the cells could settle out because no possibility of adding stirrball therefore the assay should work immediately and on the other hand is the validation method that required in your country.