Validity of combs check cells

Just curious to know if you have a reference for your statement. I have always thought that isoton is very viable solvent for rbc's, but maybe 24 hours is truely a long time?

Plain saline has nothing for the red cells to feed on. See page 874-875 of the 16ed of the AABB Technical Manual under heading Method 1-6. Preparing a 3% Red Cell Suspension. See note at the bottom left of page 875.

I think you need to validate this yourselves in your own laboratory. You need to compare the stability of the reactions over a period of time and repeat this a number of times until you are sure that you can say that they can be used for x days. You also need to check for haemolysis in your system and see how long they keep and under which conditions. Why don't you just buy them?

I would go with what Ana said. If your validation shows stability of 10 days I would keep 7 days (on conservative side). We make positive DAT specimen for ProVue & manual gel QC and when we validated the vlidation showed 10 days and we use it fro 7 days.

I think you need to validate this yourselves in your own laboratory. You need to compare the stability of the reactions over a period of time and repeat this a number of times until you are sure that you can say that they can be used for x days. You also need to check for haemolysis in your system and see how long they keep and under which conditions. Why don't you just buy them?