Rare Antisera

rcollins

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an official list of what they define as "rare" BB antisera? I'm doing my CAP self-inspection and the requirement TRM.31250 discusses using "rare" reagents past their expiration date as long as QC works. No prob with that but it also states The laboratory should establish criteria defining which reagents are considered "rare.".......The reagents are unique, rare or difficult to obtain; or delivery of new shipments of reagents is delayed.

Would it be sensible to create a list for the techs (and inspectors) to refer to?

I agree with Becky, I think if you can buy it readily there's no reason to use outdated antisera. (Would you do that with anti-A, -B or -D??) We define "rare" as the standard does ; out of stock, unobtainable, on order. If you're worried about the cost of an unused, outdated vial, many people just don't stock the ones they rarely use (anti-Fyb, -Jkb, -s etc.) and rely on their blood supplier to furnish antigen-negative units. Don't forget to include selected reagent red cells on the list. There have been several threads as to their use.

• 2 months later...

Found it. I knew I saw a list somewhere.

FDA Compliance Program Guidance Manual

Chapter 42 - Blood and Blood Products

Inspection of Licensed and Unlicensed Blood Banks, Brokers, Reference Laboratories, and Contractors- 7342.001

Implementation Date: *When posted* Technical Update Dec. 2010

Completion Date: Ongoing

Rare antigen typing: Some blood establishments use expired, commercial, rare antigen typing reagents (e.g., Jk a, Jk b, Fy b, S, s) when in-date reagents are not available. In some instances, a blood establishment may choose to use serum or plasma from a patient or donor who has a rare antibody for rare antigen typing when commercial reagents are not available. The blood establishment should only use those expired reagents or sera/plasma in an emergency with the approval of the medical director, and only when appropriately tested with positive and negative control cells.