Level 1 Trauma center is clueless

Folks, recently started at a level 1 trauma center in Texas. I've worked at 3 other level 1 trauma centers in the past 20 years all over this country, so am writing from experience.

The ER here (and blood bank) don't seem to understand the "quick admit" medical record # system, i.e. most systems generate a "John Doe MR#" for incoming traumas so we, in blood bank, can tag up units and box them OR tube them down to ER before the patient arrives. The quick admit system works beautifully and efficiently.

However, where I am now...our blood bankers actually attend the traumas with 8 units of group O (unrefrigerated...I'm getting the super to require a cooler now. Another horrible experience. Thought I'd have to call the FDA). :bonk:

Worst of all? Most of the time the ER doesn't register the "john doe" until they've been in the ER for 10-12 minutes - way too long considering that half these traumas are severe and many times the ER doc calls an MTP. We've often had to dispense products with NO armband or id whatsoever. They won't even use fenwals or any temp band. They can't seem to see the light. Our BB super and pathologist don't seem to appreciate the dire nature of this problem, esp. if multiple traumas stream in. They act as though they're a small hospital out in the sticks instead of a large facility in a large city.

This is driving me INSANE. Short of breaking chain of command to insist that the trauma committee do their job correctly, what course should I steer and still hope to keep my job? :chainsaw: Any protocols for quick admit out there I can slip under their door??

Please be very careful what you post here, if some of what your facility is currently doing (or more to the point--NOT doing) is discovered by regulatory agencies, this would be documentation they could use against your hospital.

Having said that: Check your regulatory agencies requirements (FDA and whoever does your inspections). If your supervisors and administrators do nothing with whatever evidence you collect, you should have a corporate compliance officer to report to. Good luck!

Scott

I have a few of the same questions posted above as well as, how long have you been in the current position? You probably will not like this but the quickest way to turn off folks at a new job is to start too many sentences with; "The way we did ....." I know it can be frustrating but just because some one does things differently does not make it wrong. Get to know the "new" system very well before trying to make changes, it may not be as bad as first suspected, obviously they have been making it work prior to your arrival. If you then decide that the situation is really as bad as you currently feel it is, pick your battles carefully and keep them small. Little changes add up and are not near as painful. Remember how to boil a frog.

:bonk:

Ah - we have all had frustrations like this.

Sound like you need to have a multi-disciplinary team approach - then you can set projects which you convince them very cleverly are their ideas (that's the tricky bit), then they will be on-board and things will happen. Tracking the risk reduction with a FMEA analysis will also clearly demonstrate risk reduction with the process safety improvements (again - a team approach).

Trying to bang it into their heads or holding a big stick over them (regulatory authorities) often is counter-productive (even though they sound like they need it).

Sounds like a major disaster waiting to happen at the moment so doing nothing is not an option.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Eoin

PS As I have said before, be very careful what you post on forums. Anonymise, anonymise.

:cries:

Thanks much for all the replies. Excellent advice from all here. As to the system...it's actually worse than what I initially suspected. Have been a bench tech there for several months. I've not detailed the most egregious of their policies but use your imagination. And yes, it is a disaster waiting to happen. My vast experience and instincts are quite good. They've been warned by agencies yet remain defiant. As to anyone in ER or administration being amenable to listening - that's not going to happen. Everyone from the top down has made it clear that no input from anyone is wanted - period. I've decided to "live" with it until I get employment elsewhere. Am not willing to risk what's left of my reputation and certification on this facility. In other words, I'm job-hunting. They are not ready for anything beyond a single trauma and are too ego-driven to see themselves. Can't help 'em.

That was going to be my suggestion: start looking for a new job!

Beth

Thanks much for all the replies. Excellent advice from all here. As to the system...it's actually worse than what I initially suspected. Have been a bench tech there for several months. I've not detailed the most egregious of their policies but use your imagination. And yes, it is a disaster waiting to happen. My vast experience and instincts are quite good. They've been warned by agencies yet remain defiant. As to anyone in ER or administration being amenable to listening - that's not going to happen. Everyone from the top down has made it clear that no input from anyone is wanted - period. I've decided to "live" with it until I get employment elsewhere. Am not willing to risk what's left of my reputation and certification on this facility. In other words, I'm job-hunting. They are not ready for anything beyond a single trauma and are too ego-driven to see themselves. Can't help 'em.

Truman Medical Centers in Kansas City, Missouri is a smallish hospital (350 beds) but we get about 30-40 traumas per month which makes us "hoppin". Techs are generalists and rotate between Chem, Hemo, BB, and Micro (set-up). We currently have openings. Go to trumed.org and click careers. Let me know if you apply so I can make sure the ball doesn't get dropped in HR.

Edited by webersl
added info

I worked at a very horrible Level 1 Trauma Center in Dallas that had some very questionable and noncompliant BB issues. I documented everything...found another job and turned them over to the proper regulatory agency...I hope it is not the same place but it sounds like it.

I worked at a very horrible Level 1 Trauma Center in Dallas that had some very questionable and noncompliant BB issues. I documented everything...found another job and turned them over to the proper regulatory agency...I hope it is not the same place but it sounds like it.

Nope. Thx for letting me know however. :nod:

Nope. Thx for letting me know however. :nod:

Please don't tell me it is in Houston at the TMC :cries:

Anyway if you cannot tolerate the non-compliance issues (which I could not) and they are not open to suggestions for change then have the FDA and CAP or JCAHO deal with them. It is very important to document everything...that should be easy as we blood bankers are documentation experts! :)

Edited by TVC15