Ruling out!

lab217

A question has stirred some heated discussions in our blood bank. Any input would be greatly welcomed.

The question is "if a known antibody is not detected/reacting on a cell, can this cell be used to rule out other antigens?"

LOL, loving the concensus! The philosophy, as explained, was that the results were not as "expected" and therefore should not be used to rule out other antigens.

Gaging the responses, I will deduce that this is not a common practice or even an "old school philosophy".

As always, thanks for the prompt responses!

A question has stirred some heated discussions in our blood bank. Any input would be greatly welcomed.

The question is "if a known antibody is not detected/reacting on a cell, can this cell be used to rule out other antigens?"

We cant rule out on that cell as that cell even should not be used for screening,because we are using selective panel for screening in such patient,then how this question can arise:cries:

With our automation "ECHO" solid phase technology, we do not have the luxury for "cell" selection. Immucor makes the panels and our facility purchases three different types of panels. We have to run the panel of all 14 cells so disregarding cells would make our job much more difficult.

On a side note, their single dose vs double dose cell selection on much of their panels complicates ruling out with in-house policy. The comparison of tube method to the hyper-sensitivity of the ECHO is like comparing apples and oranges, they are definitely not the same beast.

If you have a strong reactive anti Fya, and a Fya pos cell is not reactive, there is a change that the wrong cell is used, and therefore you can not use that cell for further exclusion (because the typing is not sure).

If it is a missing reaction with a weak antibody (and the non-reactivity can be explaned) then I would use the cell for further ruling out.

It all depends on the situation. (just as everything in this field)

Peter

If a historically positive anti-E (or whatever) patient is coming up on all screening cells as negative, I don't seeaproblem in using them as rule-outs. In this situation, I would just go to a coombs crossmatch with the appropriatly screened units.

On the other hand: if you are getting some positive E cells negative AND some positive, either on the screening cells or in a panel, even if all else is ruled out, I agree you would have to look at it a bit closer.

Scott

I dont know about your system but keeping the space empty for the unwanted cells then it will take those available cells only and you will read the selected panel results,:)

take care

EX: Pt has Anti Fya

I totally agree it can be used and do so. Looking for a K on a Fya cell and the cell is Negative one can use that as one of the cells to rule out K.

I also want to RULE in what antibodies are present. So I would still look to rule out the FYa and would not accept heterozgyous cells to do that. But 1 Homozgyous yes or no is enough to rule in/out the previous antibody. I like to know this for FYI only. I have found patients going to other hospitals and getting blood by this method when my previous Anti E for example not having been shown in 3 years all of a sudden is 3+.

Firstly, I have to wonder why you are running cells that are positive for an already known antibody. You should be "honoring" the history of the antibody anyway, so selected cells should be chosen that are negative for the "known" antibody. However, to answer your question, I would ask my techs to run cells that are negative for the "known" to rule out other clinically significant antibodies. Hope that helps.

Firstly, I have to wonder why you are running cells that are positive for an already known antibody. You should be "honoring" the history of the antibody anyway, so selected cells should be chosen that are negative for the "known" antibody. However, to answer your question, I would ask my techs to run cells that are negative for the "known" to rule out other clinically significant antibodies. Hope that helps.

1. Not all hospitals run rule out panels initially even with known antibodies. Thus there will be positive cells for those antibodies on the full panel. When the antibody is no longer showing and that cell is negative then that cell can be used to rule out other antibodies.

2. In my BB, as I stated above, I want to verify what is present in that specimen. So at least 1 homozygous cell for that antibody which is negative for the other antibodies pres must be run. As I stated this has helped me verify the patient received blood elsewhere Allowing us to make sure her records were complete at both places. This has happened on several occasions. Reference lab work when sent out this is also done.