Mom D neg, Baby DAT Pos

Hello Pathlabtalk communitiy,

I am new to this site. I have a question. I received a cord blood sample that I was not sure what to type as. Here was my work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Baby's cord blood was tested from a O Neg mom. Initial cord testing came to A Neg with weak positive DAT. Weak D was performed: Cord=negative, control with 6% albumin=microscopic agglutination

What is the correct Rh to the baby RBC?

Welcome to this fantastic site.

In terms of giving blood to the baby, then regard it as D NEGATIVE until proven otherwise.

In terms of whether or not the Mum needs anti-D immunoglobulin prophylaxis, then regard it as D POSITIVE until proven otherwise.

I think there is a fair chance that the baby really is D negative, and what you are detecting is maternal IgG anti-A on the baby's red cells.

Didn't californiacls say that the weak D test with the cord blood was negative and only the control was microscopically positive? I would be pretty willing to call this D neg as long as the check cells worked. I have seen weakly pos DATs elute off in the weak D test making it possible to interpret the test even though a pos DAT usually would make the weak D test invalid.

Didn't californiacls say that the weak D test with the cord blood was negative and only the control was microscopically positive? I would be pretty willing to call this D neg as long as the check cells worked. I have seen weakly pos DATs elute off in the weak D test making it possible to interpret the test even though a pos DAT usually would make the weak D test invalid.

I am comfortable with Mabel's logic on this.

Donna