Thermometer validations

lab217

I would like to know how everyone is validating thermometer accuracy. In the AABB technical manual, the procedure describes "recreating" the desired temperature in a beaker. Does anyone place a NIST certified thermometer in the fridge/freezer for a determined amount of time and compare the two temperatures?

I don't know how to recreate -30 C!

We have a calibrated digital thermometer. If you don't have one I bet you could borrow one from your clinical engineering dept. I stick the probe in the bottle with the thermometer probe of the FFP freezer, shut the door on the cord and give it a few minutes to let it equilibrate to -29-30o.

The companies who supply your 'stuff' like test tubes, pipettes, etc etc will have the thermometers most likely. I order mine from Cardinal. Fisher has them. ML has them. Lots of choices, so if you aren't locked into buying from a specific vendor, you can shop for the best price.