If a person is positive for CRP, is he/she eligible to donate blood?

Hi anyone,

Recently we got a donor who is positive for CRP.

My question of concern is that can a person donate blood if he or she is positive for CRP.

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...

Why are you doing a CRP in the first place? If the answer to that is because some disease or disease process is being investigate which would result in a deferral, than that patient should be deferred. In my experience that test is ordered for a specific reason, not as a screening test.

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with the above. The CRP is a "marker" for an inflammatory process that is going on. In and of itself it really has no meaning as far as being eligible to donate; it would be more the underlying diagnosis (assuming there is one) that might present a problem. Some medical providers use the CRP as a screening test for "whole body inflammation" to attempt to sell various naturopathic or other treatments, but this is not a standard test for any given disease. MJ

I don't believe there is any reason to defer a donor for that test result alone. I think the question that needs to follow would be if the donor would be considered to be "under a doctor's care". If they are under a doctor's care to work up some sort of condition... I would defer the donor until their doctor releases them with a clean bill of health.

• 5 months later...
if Crp postive with high titre it means acute reaction, so i think it's better to deffere utill cure

Or the person could just have arthritis...

its such a non-specific meaningless test and can be raised in a variety of conditions including in response to spme medications. It's also good to remember that the normal range differs based on age and sex. The top end of normal CRP for a 60 year old female is 30 but for a 30 year old man is only 10...

edit - I lie about the normal ranges. That's for ESR - another useless non-specific test!