Temperature and Humidity Ranges

Rapha

Nice to keep it at 22C or above - otherwise the "cold" agglutinins start to show up on the pts. (Not to mention, the tech's fingers start to turn blue!) Higher temps (above 25C) don't bother bench work too much, but the techs start to get cranky. Very high humidity can bother some of the reagents (Immucor Capture for one), and it can make the refrigerators sweat too much. That should be avoided. Other than that, I'm not too sure of any published specifics, but if anywhere - this site is the place to ask. SMW is certainly right - look at your equipment and reagents and see what is needed by all of that stuff and that should give you what you need.

The HFAP survey team seems to think we need to be monitoring humidity as well as temperature ( I think something was said about drop size, but do not recall for certain). As we do not have any automated instrumentation in blood bank at this point where would be the best place to look for information regarding humidity requirements?

The HFAP survey team seems to think we need to be monitoring humidity as well as temperature ( I think something was said about drop size, but do not recall for certain). As we do not have any automated instrumentation in blood bank at this point where would be the best place to look for information regarding humidity requirements?

Drop Size? Is there any chance you are having problems with static electricty instead of humidity? We are in the Southwest (USA) and have very dry humidity. This lead to drop size problems until we added static electricity control to our benches. The drops were very small because the static literally pulled them off the end of the pipettes and into the tubes - sounds funny, I know, but you should see it! We purchased Ionmaster Mini Ion Air Blowers from a company called NRD - Advanced Static Solutions (800-525-8076) www.nrdinc.com and have not had trouble since. We have to replace the grids in the blowers every year (the encapsulated polonium exhausts itself), but the company is easy to work with and has good service. With synthetic labcoats, vinyl floors and chairs, synthetic gloves and plastic pipettes, there would be no controlling the static any other way that we have found - others might have more answers. Even though this is a product with radioactive material in it, the product is covered by NRC exemptions and does not require a license from the NRC. The company has all the data and info.

Edited by carolyn swickard

I really do not think we have a problem with drop size. This was just an observation from the surveyors. Only in the middle of winter do we experience minor static issues here, but thanks for pointing out that possibility as I would not have considered that aspect. We did just switch to a different labcoat and most of us have noticed an increase in static discharge with doorknobs in the lab. Not really sure what the suggestion was motivating us to do other than monitor the humidity in all areas of the lab instead of just the core area. Thanks for the suggestions!

You should check your package inserts, Ortho gel cards are supposed to be stored between 5C-25C. We installed a min/max thermometer for room temperature monitoring after having this pointed out on an inspection.

If you do donor testing, some of the NAT reagents have humidity requirements. I used to work at the blood center in Denver (also very dry here) and the NAT room had to be humidified. I think it was Chiron that was being used, but I'm not entirely sure.

I really do not think we have a problem with drop size. This was just an observation from the surveyors. Only in the middle of winter do we experience minor static issues here, but thanks for pointing out that possibility as I would not have considered that aspect. We did just switch to a different labcoat and most of us have noticed an increase in static discharge with doorknobs in the lab. Not really sure what the suggestion was motivating us to do other than monitor the humidity in all areas of the lab instead of just the core area. Thanks for the suggestions!

Often if you only have minor static problems you can fix the drop size problem by touching the edge of the tube with your finger while you dispense. It wouldn't fix a problem like the one cswickard described. Also, static and humidity are related, so sometimes increasing the humidity slightly will reduce the problems with static (including getting zapped when you stick your hands in the water from the faucet to wash up!).