Repeat antibody IDs

DANDERS

Does anyone have a policy they'd share regarding when it's okay to not repeat an AB ID on a repeat patient with a known antibody. I have a patient who comes in every week for blood. A+ with an anti-K since 2003. I worked up the antibody everytime at the beginning, then was told about a policy I could implement and not work it up every time. Before I implemented it, her screen went negative and stayed that way for the last several years. Well, all of the sudden, her screen is positive again. The reactions are consistant and there's no other antibody. If it's possible to not work this up every week, I'd love it know how to properly word a policy.

Unless they've changed the AABB Standards in the past 2 years, and that has been known to happen, if the antibody screen indicates only the known antibody is present and antigen negative units for the known antibody are AHG compatible you do not have to do any more than that. That's what we did in my previous life.

I believe that a while back there was a rather long discussion thread on this subject.

:explosion

• 2 years later...

That's what we do with known antibodies. We just run enough cells to rule out any new alloantibodies; not necessary to keep identifying the old ones when you are going to always honor them anyway by giving antigen negative blood.

Exactly the same here.

That's what we do with known antibodies. We just run enough cells to rule out any new alloantibodies; not necessary to keep identifying the old ones when you are going to always honor them anyway by giving antigen negative blood.

Ditto