out of group RDPs in children < 5 yrs

lyla_n

Patient 2 yrs B+. weight 10kg.

group B platelets not available.

Next choice platelets should be ?

Is it better to transfuse AB platelets than O to avoid risk of high titre anti A and anti B considering small plasma volume of child?

wat abt A platelets? wats the order?

:confused:

AB then A then O or different frm this?

:redface::redface::redface:

We do not face this problem frequently. If it happens we:

1. AB if no red cells in the unit (visual).

2. A to B or B to A if no red cells (visual)

3. O

Other than AB for neonates we remove Plasma, suspend platelets in NS, Change expiry to 4 hours, even we use sterilize connecting. All our stock is single donor, no apheresis yet.

Please Comment

We do not face this problem frequently. If it happens we:

1. AB if no red cells in the unit (visual).

2. A to B or B to A if no red cells (visual)

3. O

Other than AB for neonates we remove Plasma, suspend platelets in NS, Change expiry to 4 hours, even we use sterilize connecting. All our stock is single donor, no apheresis yet.

Please Comment

When I say single donor I am referring to apheresis platelets. RDP, I assume, means random donor plts - made from a red cell donation. I would think that the complexity of your operation would demand apheresis plt products. It is more efficient than producing plts from red cell donations, usually less bloody too. Plus, you are only exposing the pt to one donor instead of several.

When I say single donor I am referring to apheresis platelets. RDP, I assume, means random donor plts - made from a red cell donation. I would think that the complexity of your operation would demand apheresis plt products. It is more efficient than producing plts from red cell donations, usually less bloody too. Plus, you are only exposing the pt to one donor instead of several.

Yes sorry I should write random donor not single, thanks for correction

I tend to worry more about the amounts of plasma in the unit, of course we use exclusively apheresis platelets here. None the less transfusion of incompatible plasma would be my main concern, so in that case, I would go with AB as a next choice and stay away from A and O unless you can somehow wash those platelets. This is just as the child is small.

I tend to worry more about the amounts of plasma in the unit, of course we use exclusively apheresis platelets here. None the less transfusion of incompatible plasma would be my main concern, so in that case, I would go with AB as a next choice and stay away from A and O unless you can somehow wash those platelets. This is just as the child is small.

Yes thats wat i think too Lara. We should take AB as the nxt choice instead of O or evn A. B'coz the plasma volume of the child is less.. No sense transfusin incompatible plasma..

We would also give AB platelets next. If we had to go to a plasma-incompatible product (A or O), we will give one standard-dose of 5ml/kg of group A or O. If more than one dose of the incompatible product were needed, we would volume reduce the product.

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB

We would also give AB platelets next. If we had to go to a plasma-incompatible product (A or O), we will give one standard-dose of 5ml/kg of group A or O. If more than one dose of the incompatible product were needed, we would volume reduce the product.

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB