incompatible CM

lyla_n

Thnx Malcom..

we had the same problem with another female with Blood group B pos..Cross match incompatible with 3 units out of 6 and then she ws perfectly compatible with other group B units that were reqiured over the nxt 6 days.

The lady was undergoing a cholecystectomy and had a bleeding complication intraop..

Is it essential to pin point the antibody in these cases?? or can we just ignore it?

Thnx Malcom..

we had the same problem with another female with Blood group B pos..Cross match incompatible with 3 units out of 6 and then she ws perfectly compatible with other group B units that were reqiured over the nxt 6 days.

The lady was undergoing a cholecystectomy and had a bleeding complication intraop..

Is it essential to pin point the antibody in these cases?? or can we just ignore it?

Well, in general, I would say "yes", you should try to ascertain the specificity (if possible), as some antibodies (such as ant-Cob) are not typically clinically significant, whereas others (such as anti-Jka) are clinically ignificant, when the apparent strength of the reactions in vitro are comparable. The former you can largely ignore (although, of course, it is ALWAYS best to give antigen negative blood if it is available), whilst the latter you ignore at the peril of your patient!!!!!!

:fear::fear::fear::fear::fear:

Another possiblility, although with two incompatible units I think it would be a long shot, is that the donor cells themselves are DAT positive. We run into this once or twice a year, but usually only with a single unit at a time.

I wonder the frequency of the antigen on the donor cells, 2 of 5 and 3 out of 6 is so high, and so concentrated. I don't know if it is reasonable, but I want to express my idea: maybe lyla-n recrossmatch the incompatible cells parallel with panel cells is better. I doubt some other factor influence the test.

Ah, so as the first line of my reply suggested then, do not go buy a lottery ticket!

Brenda

thanks pple...esp Brenda.. Did run a panel however nothing came up on that...

The units that we crossmatched were A1B pos..

May be Ab against some low incidence antigen..Dont have a rare Ag panel..

Got another request for one more unit, we cross matched 3 units expecting the worst but all 3 came compatible!!