Confirmation of ABO and Rh of Blood Unit before transfusion

khalidm3

Hi friends

At our centre blood donation, testing, storage and transfusion laboratory is under one roof. We perform ABO and Rh for blood donors by Cell and serum typing from specimen tube taken during phlebotomy. (Standard 5.8.1)

After labelling the blood bags, before release we retest ABO and Rh by cell typing by anti A, B, and D but not test Weak D for Negatives from blood bags segments. (Standard 5.9.5)

Is it mandatory to retest the same units for ABO & Rh during Pre-transfusion compatibility testing? (Standard 5.13.1)

Thanks

When the blood is moved from the testing/storage area to the crossmatch/issue area, is there a transfer paper sent with the unit? If so, that is the same as a blood center sending (transfer) blood several miles.

Also, are all areas under one CLIA certificate?

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your attention. I am not working in Saudi Arab and our hospital administration has approved to get Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation. Our Lab Director is willing to accredit the Lab by CAP and Blood Bank by AABB also. I am concerned to blood bank. We are willing to update our set-up and policies up to mark. We have no CLIA Certificate

Contd...

Edited by khalidm3

As we have blood donation and transfusion lab under one roof

1. We have one document for Testing the blood group from segments, one document for release of blood to inventory. There is one document for testing ABO and Rh from specimen tubes. We have no transfer or sending document, as we are one department working side by side. Re-confirmation from segment is done at one bench in transfusion laboratory,

I am confused with this standard, shall we test blood group from segment during pre-transfusion compatibility testing also.

Mohammed Khalid MLT (ASCP)CM

Standard 5.13.1 refers to the patient testing that must be performed pretransfusion.

5.12.1 refers to the type confirmation performed by the transfusion service, and from what you have said your ABO and Rh from the segment post-labeling meets the requirement of both 5.12.1 and 5.9.5, since the units are kept under one roof.

Thanks DPruden/L106,

My medical supervisor and me have similar opinion like you, But I think it will be safer, to re-check blood group from the bag when it is issued without immediate spin/electronic or AHG x-match, like O red cells for neonatal subsequent transfusions, or other such case.

I shall wait for your comments

Edited by khalidm3

You don't need to retype a unit on issue . . . this has never been a policy at any institution I have worked in or inspected. As stated above, you are meeting all the criteria regulations require - - - when you start getting creative you may be setting yourself up for non-compliance (with your own policies). You have to have confidence that your policies/procedures are being followed. If they are, then there is no need for additional work. If you feel that there is an issue on typing you should look at your policies/procedures to make certain they are what you think they are. If I inspected you and observed that your policy is what you are anticipating, it would ring a bell that something happened at your blood bank to make you have such an unusual policy - I would start taking a closer look at your operation.

Thanks David

You r right, actually I was confused with the standard Standard 5.13.1 and kind replies from all of you abolished my worries.

Here we r working in an atmosphere where we have no senior colleague trained from an advance country and you know the concepts of standards and quality control are poor in most of Asia and Africa. Our struggle here is to read AABB technical Manual/Standards and try to follow them. We get a lot of information from blood bank talk and CBBS forums.

Some times my question looks unsuitable but I don't hesitate to ask a question, if I am in doubt.

Is it mandatory to retest the same units for ABO & Rh during Pre-transfusion compatibility testing? (Standard 5.13.1)

We in jordan do blood group from the finger donor blood and next section in blood bank retest all blood group which we take it from donors and record blood group on lable put on blood unit and when we choice the unit to make x-match we shall do blood group for the blood unit

3 times we check blood group for the same unit to give the right unit to right patient