Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

In truth we should follow the KISS principle for my answer. I was simply looking for the number of types according to AABB. The latest mentions 53 types. Apologies for the ambiguity of my question.

From the 16th ED:

The mutations affect insertion of the protein in the membrane, reflected in the reduced number of D antigen sites on the red cells. Many different mutations cause weak D expression, and they are designated Type 1 through Type 53. The most common is Type 1, which has a Val270Gly amino acid mutation, and which, along with Types 2 and 3, represent approximately 90% of the weak D found in persons of European ethnicity.

Back to Malcolm's reference to the Kell question. I believe the first Kell antigen identified was Kel1 (K) in 1946 followed by Kel2 (k) in 1949. Is this what you were looking for Malcolm?:confused:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In truth we should follow the KISS principle for my answer. I was simply looking for the number of types according to AABB. The latest mentions 53 types. Apologies for the ambiguity of my question.

From the 16th ED:

The mutations affect insertion of the protein in the membrane, reflected in the reduced number of D antigen sites on the red cells. Many different mutations cause weak D expression, and they are designated Type 1 through Type 53.The most common is Type 1, which has a Val270Gly amino acid mutation, and which, along with Types 2 and 3, represent approximately 90% of the weak D found in persons of European ethnicity.

Back to Malcolm's reference to the Kell question. I believe the first Kell antigen identified was Kel1 (K) in 1946 followed by Kel2 (k) in 1949. Is this what you were looking for Malcolm?:confused:

Ah, but there are sub-types in those 53! For example, there are at least 4 sub-types with Weak D Type 4!

I'm afraid that K was not the first (nor k the second) Kell antigen described (as opposed to identified); that would have been far too easy!

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

wow had to go to the books for this, Kpc was reported in 1945. very devious Malcom! I hope that's right!

What system is located on the complement regluatory glycoprotein DAF (decay accelerating factor ) ?

I'm going to have to venture a guess and say "M" ??

Next Question: What antigen is not expressed in the Bombay phenotype?

wow had to go to the books for this, Kpc was reported in 1945. very devious Malcom! I hope that's right!

What system is located on the complement regluatory glycoprotein DAF (decay accelerating factor ) ?

I'm gonna say Cromer. :confused:

My advice to anyone with this one is to be very careful with your answer. Things have changed in the last few years from what was originally thought!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I fear that I may have put people off answering this question. I'm sorry if I did, as the basics are the same; only the details have changed, so HAVE A GO!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

Here's my effort with regard to the McLeod phenotype.

I'll have to se t another question after dinner, or face the wrath of my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Right, sorted (and I helped with the washing-up!).

What condition is associated with the adult ii phenotype in the Asian population?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Asian ii have a problem with their eyes I think-maybe cataracts.:confused:

It seems like M. Reid (and others) did paper/presentation on this "I for an eye"

Yes, that's right (Lung-Chih Yu, Yuh-Ching Twu, Ming-Lun Chou, Marion E Reid, Alan R Gray, Joann M Moulds, Ching-Yi Chang, Marie Lin. The molecular genetics of the human I locus and molecular background explain the partial association of the adult i phenotype with congenital cataracts. Blood 2003; 101: 2081-2087).

Now you need to set us a question please.

:):):):):)

Yes, that's right (Lung-Chih Yu, Yuh-Ching Twu, Ming-Lun Chou, Marion E Reid, Alan R Gray, Joann M Moulds, Ching-Yi Chang, Marie Lin. The molecular genetics of the human I locus and molecular background explain the partial association of the adult i phenotype with congenital cataracts. Blood 2003; 101: 2081-2087).

Now you need to set us a question please.

:):):):):)

Thanks Malcolm for the source specifics. I'll have to reread it.

Now for one of those items that we think might be asked on the SBB so we memorized it, (but it wasn't...) I just found it interesting.

Name a low incidence antigen found more commonly in Mennonites.

OK, back to Bombays......I'll offer up a 3 part question:

1. Who wrote the original paper describing the phenotype?

2. Who worked out the relationship between the Hh (they called them Xx) and A and B genes?

3. Where was the patient from who, along with her family, supplied the clues for #2 above?

Thanks Malcolm for the source specifics. I'll have to reread it.

Now for one of those items that we think might be asked on the SBB so we memorized it, (but it wasn't...) I just found it interesting.

Name a low incidence antigen found more commonly in Mennonites.

Again, I cheated a bit; Alan Gray is a member of my staff!!!!!!!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

OK, back to Bombays......I'll offer up a 3 part question:

1. Who wrote the original paper describing the phenotype?

2. Who worked out the relationship between the Hh (they called them Xx) and A and B genes?

3. Where was the patient from who, along with her family, supplied the clues for #2 above?

I am concious that I could be accused of monopolising this thread, and so I have put my answers in an attachment to give others a chance (mind you, I'm not totally sure they are correct anyway)!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bhende YM.docx

I sincerely hope that Malcolm is home sipping wine, not still at work! I'll wait until tomorrow morning to respond to him or whoever else might have the answers, and I'll tell you why I asked the questions.

No, not sipping - quaffing is the term I think (or maybe even gulpng).

I have a horrible feeling about this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: