intended recipient labels vs. tie tags

Not sure what you mean, but we use a retail looking "tagger" that puts in a thin plastic thread with a T piece at one end. I put the "tagger" gun through the hole already in the top of the bag and through the paper crossmatch tag. Is that what you mean?

You want the ID to be attached until at least the end of transfusion. Either a label sticky enough to adhere to a moist, cold bag or a tie tag affixed well will work.

You don't want something that easily falls off or has to be removed for nurses to record vitals, etc.

If anyone is a HemaTrax user Digi-Trax has a utility in the label print software that prints a bar coded (1-D or 2-D) ISBT128 compliant Intended recipient label/tag combination. It can be used as either a label or tie tag; is completely water proof and has a portion that is used after crossmatch to match to blood units and a tear off portion used to match to the recipient at bedside either manually or via bar code scanning. Digi-Trax has printed and blank samples that we can supply and if you send an email with your contact data we will send and contact you directly if you wish. Email rkriozere@digi-trax.com.

Richard

The other thing you should do is to make sure that the glue cannot leach through the plastic. We had trouble with this in the UK.

:eek::eek:

Actually, in the US, I think FDA has guidelines for the type of glue that is acceptable for use on blood bags for this very reason. If you decide to use stickers, be sure you pick the right glue. Another issue we ran into is that the "acceptable" glue is VERY stubborn once it is attached to the bag. We ended up with stickers with 2 backings. The first (outer) backing has the "acceptable" glue and stays on the bag after we return the unit to inventory. The second backing allows us to remove the sticker if the assigned patient does not use the blood so we can tag it for someone else.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The other thing you should do is to make sure that the glue cannot leach through the plastic. We had trouble with this in the UK.

:eek::eek:

I remember this well, we moved from sticking labels on to bags to sticking them on to tags which were then attached to the bag. If I recall it was difficult getting a guarantee from a label manufacturer to say the glue did not leach into the bag. I also seem to recall that platelet bags are designed to have some gaseous exchange with the atmosphere so sticking more labels on those was considered bad practice.

Steve

:):):)

Edited by Steven Jeff
spelling

AveryDennison's Fasson Division and 3M have several adhesives that both meet the reqirements of CFR 21, sec. 175.105 A & B. They have done bag leaching testing for labels such as piggyback donor identification labels (DIN) used directly on bags. Our company Digi-Trax and others have this type of adhesive available on various label materials. As stated above in the thread we have designed an ISBT128 compliant combination label & tag to be used for crossmatch compatibility.

Richard

There is a really long and involved thread about label adhesive but it's probably from 2(??) years ago or so. The endpoint of that discussion was that the adhesive has to meet the requirements for food safety. Ask your label provider for a written statement that their label adhesive meets the requirements (as in Richard's message above). I was able to get that statement from Shamrock several years ago.

Interesting point about stickers and adhesive interfering with gas exchange - worse for platelets, maybe?

We put the "sticky" label on the bag at time of issue. Do you really think a label on a platelet bag for 1-2 hours, during the infusion, could make a difference in the platelet viability? I also would be interested in see a reference to the type of glue we're suppose to use. :frown: