volume of a blood unit

sona

hi all ,

during blood donation of a particular donor our blood collection monitor went out of order due to which we had to take blood assuming that it was done and the volume was not measured when the volume was measured afterwards it was more than 500 ml .There came a question in my mind that it had altered blood to anticoagulant ratio .Kindly tell me that how does it affect a blood unit and what should we do in this case

Sonia,

As you questioned intially, the whole blood to anticoagulant ratio may be altered such that the anticoagulant properties are depleted therefore unable to anticoagulate causing potential clot formation in the unit of blood. As some of the other posters stated there is a +/- 10% range for the volume collected to anticoagulant ratio ( Anyone please let me know if this understanding is incorrect). Do you know how much more than 500 ml was in the bag? 10% of 500ml = 50 ml; so if your total volume is >550ml then the unit may not be usable as it would exceed the anticoagulant capacity.