"Trauma packs" for massive transfusions

labail

We are a 400 bed hospital level 1 Trauma Hospital and occasionally have patients that require "massive transfusions"

We have a massive transfusion protocol that seems to be working BUT....

The nursing staff now wants us to send all blood products (RBCs, FFP, cryo, and platelets) together in some type of transportation "system". We of course put RBCs in a cooler 1-6 and send the FFP, cryo and platelets seperately.

My question is.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO HOW I CAN CREATE A TRANSPORTATION "SYSTEM" THAT SOMEHOW WOULD HAVE ALL PRODUCTS, KEPT AT DIFFERENT TEMPS. IN ONE CARRIER.

My thought was to have plastic carrier bags to attach to the outside of the cooler for the platelets and cryo...

Any creative ideas would be welcome.

The nursing staff now wants us to send all blood products (RBCs, FFP, cryo, and platelets) together in some type of transportation "system". We of course put RBCs in a cooler 1-6 and send the FFP, cryo and platelets seperately.

Any creative ideas would be welcome.

I have two alternative creative ideas.

Either tell the nurses to get educated about how blood components need to be stored if they are to be effective, or (my favourite), shoot the nurses!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have seen information on coolers (not necessarily designed for blood banks) that have two separate chambers for maintaining temperature in two different ranges. It was on the internet, but I don't have the site to hand. You could probably Google (notice the verb use!) to find it if you are interested. We just send the red cells and plasma in a cooler and the platelets and cryo in a padded envelope. The problem is the same one you always face: how do you know the users will keep the products in the correct location and leave them there until they are needed so that temperature is maintained? No really good answers here...train and re-train. If you do choose to shoot the nurses, be sure to be thorough. I do not wish to have to run a massive protocol for a shooting you messed up!

• 2 weeks later...

I work in a level 2 trauma center where we have "Trauma Trays." This is a 1x1.5 feet and 6 inch deep tray that has a divider in the middle. We put cold packs with the cold products on one side and room temp packs with the room temperature products on the other side. We have a timer that we set when the tray leaves the department so that whoever has the tray knows that the products have to be returned to be stored at proper temperature. We also have a tray check off list to keep track ofwhat products need to be in the next tray. So, we are constantly feeling up one tray while the other is being used and the person picking up is usually back by the time we get it full.

Hey, the website is http://www.marketlabinc.com/prodtype.asp?s=zlo58d14539&strParents=1329,1330,1331,1344&CAT_ID=1940&numRecordPosition=1. This link should take you right to the correct page. If not, the "trays" I referred to are in the Organization section and under boxes on the Market Lab (Unique and Hard to Find Products). There are all different sizes and you can choose which one is best for you. I hope this works for you.

We are a level 1 Trauma Center with over 800 beds and our MTP process continually changes. We currently only send 5 RBC's and 5 Liquid Plasma or FFP/Thawed Plasma products up on each batch. We send platelets up with every third batch and place a sticker on them that says "Do Not Refrigerate". We don't do any cryo until they tell us (this helps with wastage). The biggest problem is always going to be nursing compliance with products at different temperatures. I file an incident report for every product wasted due to nursing errors and now I put the dollar amount that is lost due to the wastage. I only wish I could charge that wasted product to the nursing unit instead of BB eating the cost. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...