where can I get information on frequency of different antigens?

trisram

I am looking for information on frequency of antigens. Like, which are most common and which are not. Can anybody help me find this information? Thank you for your time

There are loads of text books with this information in them available, but two places that are readily available to you, for the "common" antigens are both under the drop down list of References section of the BBT website! One is Blood Group Systems, and the other is in the Document Library, User Submitted Section, Education bit.

By far and away the most useful book that I have ever read on this particular subject is "The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook", by Marion Reid and Christine Lomas-Francis (2nd edition, 2004), Elsevier Academic Press, ISBN 0-12-586585-6, Library of Congress Catalog Number 2003102995.

Like any text book, it was slightly out-of-date on the day it was published, and now it is 6-years-old, it is much more out-of-date (for example, RHAG, as the 30th Blood Group System was realised after the book had been published), but it still a brilliant book.

:D:D:D:D:D

I second Malcolm. Next to the AABB Technical Manual, Dr. Reid's and Ms. Lomas-Francis' book is the reference I use most often.

I noticed Amazon offers The Blood Group Antigen Facts Book in Kindle format. Has anyone used the Kindle edition, and if so any opinions? I have the Kindle App on my iPhone, and if I could carry this reference everywhere I went in my front pocket it would just make my decade.

Jason

Hi Tristram.

Where are you from?

While I second the above sources mentioned, it is important to realise that for many populations, the quoted Ag incidens in publications may be close or it may be significantly wrong. As an example, K+ is 9.1% in the Australian population but is <0.1 in most Asian populations. This makes a big difference to a blood banker.

I suggest that the best reference for antigen incidence in different populations is "The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups and Other Polymorphisms, 2nd edition 1976 by A. E. Mourant. Hard to get but is a collation of all studies up to that date. More recent studies can be googled if you have an interest in a specific population.

Hi Tristram.

Where are you from?

While I second the above sources mentioned, it is important to realise that for many populations, the quoted Ag incidens in publications may be close or it may be significantly wrong. As an example, K+ is 9.1% in the Australian population but is <0.1 in most Asian populations. This makes a big difference to a blood banker.

I suggest that the best reference for antigen incidence in different populations is "The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups and Other Polymorphisms, 2nd edition 1976 by A. E. Mourant. Hard to get but is a collation of all studies up to that date. More recent studies can be googled if you have an interest in a specific population.

True, an excellent book, but not the easiest to read. Even Arthur Mourant himself admitted that!.

:D

I am trying to put together a sort of a database spredsheet thingy with the collated data on antigen incidence in global populations from Mourant and more recemt studies. It is a HUGE project and the current version has this list of ethnicities:

Central AfricaNorth AfricaSouthern AfricaWest AfricaUS - African-AmericanUS - CaucasianUS - IndianCanadaEskimosMiddle AmericaSouth AmericaCaribbeanChinaTaiwanKoreaHong KongThailandMelanesiaMicronesiaPolynesiaBurmeseLaos/CambodiaPhilippinesBorneoSingaporeIndiaPakistanSri LankaBhutanTibet/NepalTimorIndonesiaJapanMalaysiaVietnamAustralian - Blood DonorsAustralian AboriginalsNZ - Blood DonorsNZ - MaorisFrenchGermanAustriaGreekIrishItalianSpanishUKScotThe NetherlandsMongolianNordicSlavicLebaneseTurkIraqiIranSaudia ArabiaAfghaniCypressYemen

There are HUGE gaps in the data so I don't quite know how to present it. Too much data for a poster unless it is a really large poster.

Tim,

I'd be happy to help develop something that could be displayed on this site.

I agree it would be an enormous "poster", but if it were all inside a database, it could be set up to pick and chose the columns you want to display. It could be set up flexibly so that you can add countries / regions / populations as you go.

Let me know if you'd be interested.

I am trying to put together a sort of a database spredsheet thingy with the collated data on antigen incidence in global populations from Mourant and more recemt studies. It is a HUGE project and the current version has this list of ethnicities:

Central AfricaNorth AfricaSouthern AfricaWest AfricaUS - African-AmericanUS - CaucasianUS - IndianCanadaEskimosMiddle AmericaSouth AmericaCaribbeanChinaTaiwanKoreaHong KongThailandMelanesiaMicronesiaPolynesiaBurmeseLaos/CambodiaPhilippinesBorneoSingaporeIndiaPakistanSri LankaBhutanTibet/NepalTimorIndonesiaJapanMalaysiaVietnamAustralian - Blood DonorsAustralian AboriginalsNZ - Blood DonorsNZ - MaorisFrenchGermanAustriaGreekIrishItalianSpanishUKScotThe NetherlandsMongolianNordicSlavicLebaneseTurkIraqiIranSaudia ArabiaAfghaniCypressYemen

There are HUGE gaps in the data so I don't quite know how to present it. Too much data for a poster unless it is a really large poster.